Laptop Doesn't Turn On, Is The Motherboard Broken?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Antonio MS, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Antonio MS

Antonio MS Geek Trainee

My laptop doesn't turn on at all. No beep sounds. No caps-lock nor Num-lock light blinks. Only the light near the power plug blinks when you press the power button (this led is just a small dot left of the power plug).

This led is off even when the power plug is connected and givingout good power:
    - When I connect the AC adapter and press the power button, I see the power light (near DC input Jack) blink three or four times.
    - Doing the same with the battery removed, doesn't give any blinks.
    - Doing the same with battery but without connecting the AC adapter, doesn't show any blinks.

I`ve tested the AC adapter plug voltage with a multimeter and voltage is OK: 19v

The DC connector is robust and doesn't look damaged, it's not loose.

Any help will be welcome.

Laptop model: HP G62-b80SS
    serial 4CZ032Z0Y7 prod. number: XF218EA
    Intel Core i3 350M 2.26 GHz 15.6"
    RAM 4 GB DDR3
    Display 15.6" TFT 1366 x 768 ( WXGA ) BrightView

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Probably chip inside that laptop that controls incoming current is burned. Sadly, you must open laptop to see if there is any visible damage.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Unless it has been dropped, I don't think it would be the Motherboard.. More like the Power supply or Hard drive or even bad ram..

4. Antonio MS

Antonio MS Geek Trainee

Thanks for your answer. But let me ask you: why do you suspect a chip, do you know the meaning of the power plug lights? Do you think that chip can be replaced?. Since the AC adapter is OK I guess there hasn't been any power surge or similar. Thanks.

5. Antonio MS

Antonio MS Geek Trainee

Thanks for your answer, but as I explained, the AC adapter is OK, there isn't any power supply. And if the hard disk were at fault, I'd get some screen error message.

6. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Have seen many laptops where power controller chip next to DC connector is burned. That's very easy to see, however it requires laptop disassembly.

7. Antonio MS

Antonio MS Geek Trainee

I'll disassemble the laptop to have a look.
    In case it's visibly burnt, do you think it can be replaced or a complete motherboard replace would be the only solution?. I know how to solder components but not such small components as a chip, unless the chip is large enough or has only a few legs.
    Thank you very much :)

8. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Usually it's too hard to reliably fix burned components. Good for manufacturers that must people buy new laptops, of course.

9. Antonio MS

Antonio MS Geek Trainee