LED Lighting

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by SexiMexi9018, Dec 9, 2006.

1. SexiMexi9018

SexiMexi9018 Geek Trainee

Im really cheep and don't wanna by one of those cool cases with the glass panels and the LED lighting, so i was wondering if anyone knew a place to get LED Lights, and Really Thin glass paneling so i can do it my self, thanks!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Most people don't use glass for case mods due to it easily breaking...unless it's reinforced, and I would imagine that to be rather pricey. You can pick up sheets of acrylic/plexiglass at the likes of Lowes or Home Depot. LED's can be had at Radio Shack as well as at GloWire. GloWire also makes EL wire if you're interested in that.

3. SexiMexi9018

SexiMexi9018 Geek Trainee

Thanks and this is just an idea lol im not sure if im going to do it

4. dannbrownn

dannbrownn Geek Trainee

Where do these lights get their power? What do they plug into? Do they turn on and off when you turn your PC on and off?...
    Just wandering as i get the feeling i may not be able to control myself when i get my new computer!

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Depends on how you're using them. If you're, say, using them for the front LED replacements, then you should be able to run them right off the proper motherboard header. If you want to run a ton of them, you can get by with batteries...although, you can rig them up to run off the 5V rail. I don't have any guides off-hand, but you can find them if you look around a little.

Cathodes typically come with an inverter that is plugged into a molex power connector, so you don't need to do anything special. You can also use those neon's for cars, since they run off 12V, which is supplied by your power supply.

6. dannbrownn

dannbrownn Geek Trainee

OK, thanks