Length of Time for repair

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by thomas234, Feb 7, 2007.

1. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

My Acer Aspire 5051AWXMi broke after me having it for only 24 days! I took it back to Laptops Direct where I purchased it from, and they told me I had to take it to the manufacturer (although I know this isn't true, I was aware it's in their terms and conditions before I bought the laptop).

So, I contacted Acer and they gave me an address to send the laptop to. It's now been at the repair centre for 3 weeks, and I'm rather annoyed (to say the least) that it's taking so long to repair. Do you think 3 weeks is too long to fix a laptop? I don't really want to new one because it takes ages to setup XP to how I like it, and also Linux. However, if it meant speeding up getting a laptop back I'd be happy with a new one. Do I have the right to e-mail them and ask for a new laptop, or should I leave it a little longer?

Thanks, Thomas

P.S The repair status can be seen here.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It wouldn't hurt to e-mail them about the status of the repair first and ask why it's taking so long.

3. Fred

Fred Moderator

Three weeks absolutely does suck, but it is not a strange amount of time for a repair company to take when fixing something. I work at a computer repair shop, but we will take other products for people and ship them out if we can't fix them (ie Vacuums, Ipod, TV, etc). When they get shipped out, we tell them it usually takes "two to four weeks" and sometimes cameras take a month and a half or more. And according to our terms, we dont have to do anything about it until 90 days. Yeah, it sucks but usually manufacturers take longer to repair stuff then local shops. And I should mention that another factor that plays into how long they take is if they have all the parts on hand. If they just happen to not have a part in stock, it will usually take another week just to get it in for them. So yeah, I guess I made my point.

And you have every right to email them and ask for a new laptop, but I can pretty much promise you that they will say no. Whatever is wrong with your laptop is probably cheaper for them to fix then to give you a new one. I've seen under the manufacturers warr a optical drive, mobo, and screen get replaced and sent back.... and that's pretty excessive work. But if nothing else, I would give it a month and then contact them about why it is taking so long. Sometimes if you confront them about the length of time, they will put it on and get it off of the bench more quickly.

4. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Thanks I'll give it another week before contacting them.

I need it back before mid-March to get my free Vista Upgrade! :D

5. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Update: I finally got it back! Woo! After having problems with DHL - they told us their drivers didn't want to come out to where I live, so they just said we were out! Eventually went and picked it up from the Leeds depot... My dads furious!

I've ordered My "free" Vista "upgrade", which cost me £14 for shipping and handling!! Even if I don't use it straight away I can at least keep it incase I ever need it.