lg3d

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Runner7775, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

look at this new linux os it still in developement but its pretty cool. I think you can go to distrowatch.com and download the live cd.
    LG3D-Livecd 2.3 | tuxmachines.org
    there is a link on that page for screenshots.
    if it works it might be cooler than the transparencies of mac os x and windows vista!

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

No doubt about it, its better than what Vista can do, but at the moment it doe snot look very good, XGL is the best thing at the moment, better than Vista Features, and that you linked to, but its probs got XGL in it.

3. Addis

Addis The King

You should no longer look for XGL, but also AIXGL or just "3D desktop". XGL is far inferior to AIXGL.

4. Willz

:confused:, speed things progress, i still gonna set up XGL, is 3D Desktop and AIXGL in distros like Kubuntu and Mandriva? is it also easier to set up than XGL?

5. Addis

Addis The King

XGL runs on top of the normal X server Xorg, while AIXGL is incorporated directly into X.

I believe AIXGL is in *buntu 6.10, or it should be included with any distro which juses Xorg 7.1.

6. Willz

So really it works from the start?, because i cant get direct rendering workin on my ATi or Intel rig so that would be a let down.

7. Addis

Addis The King

That's a problem with your graphics driver installation, not XGL/AIXGL. You also need Beryl or Compiz to provide the 3D effects, XGL/AIXGL provides the underlying mechanism.

8. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Personally I think that project looking glass has it right. AIXGL adds 3D effects to any desktop environment but looking glass is a 3D desktop environment to itself. I like the better integration but it needs more work. Plus looking glass is more to the purpose of improving productivity rather than pure candy.