Linux Mandrake 10

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by ninja fetus, Apr 3, 2004.

1. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Thanks for your help! I have Red Hat up and running as i type! WEEE I LOVE IT

2. ninja fetus

ok, i just downloaded firefox, how do i install it (just extracted)

oh and eeh ooh, when i minimize programs, it ends them and they dont appear into the panel. what did i do? and how do i fix it? they dont end<

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

To install Firefox, first extract it to /usr/local/apps/firefox (must be done as root; users cannot write to any directory but /home/$username). Then (as root) type: ln -s /usr/local/apps/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox . Let me explain what that command line does.

ln, as in "link", makes a link from one file to another.

-s as in "symbolic". We want a symbolic link in the /usr/bin directory for the word "firefox", so that when you type the word firefox from the command line (in any directory), Firefox runs (sure beats typing /usr/local/apps/firefox/firefox every time you want to run it).

/usr/local/apps/firefox/firefox is the path to the file we want to link to

/usr/bin/firefox is the path where we want the link to go, so it can be executed as a one-word command: firefox

Now you have Firefox installed. The reason I dissected the command line used to symbolically link firefox to the /usr/bin directory is not so you could memorize that command line, but so that you can understand what's happening when you do issue that command line and understand the principles of what's actually happening.

"If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. But if you teach him how to fish, he eats for the rest of his life." - Kuan-tzu (Chinese Philosopher)

P.S. - Redhat (Fedora) is probably the slowest Linux distro there is. Once you get some of the rudiments out of the way, you'll probably want to "graduate" to a better distro. Also, the reason that your programs just go away is that they crash silently. Fedora Core is basically beta testing for Redhat Enterprise Linux, so don't expect much stability out of the apps. - AT

4. ninja fetus

i think i got it! so...what graduating would i be able to do...i want it hella fast! and umm uhh THANKS!

5. Anti-Trend

Well, once you learn how to boot selectively and compile your own kernels, you can make *any* distro "hella fast". :) But pretty much any distro built from Slackware or Debian will be faster right out of the box than Red Hat. What distro you choose all depends on what you want to accomplish with it. If I was you though, I'd get PCLinuxOS. It's fast, really easy to use, and has quite a few features right out of the box. It's built from Mandrake source code, which was once derived from Red Hat source, so you can often use packages for both distros with it. It's a very good beginner OS, and there's even a seperate "Live CD" version, so you can take your OS of choice with you wherever you go. :good:

6. ninja fetus

TODAY WAS A GREAT DAY!!! my friend had no clue you could do a dual boot when i handed him the redhat cds and he just totally formatted AHA LOSER!!! then i told him and he got "hella" pissed at meh. pclinuxos...sounds quite tasty. thanks AT

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

"...Remember kids: keep a regular backup system in place for those unexpected 'oops' moments."

8. Anti-Trend

Who needs that other partition anyway? :p JK, really though Windows needs a reformat every now and then to freshen things up anyway. If you remind your friend of that, maybe he won't be as pissed. Also, he can take the opportunity to make proper seperate partitions for both Win32 and Red Hat.
    You're welcome. :) I'd like to encourage you to try as many distros as you have inclanation to; you'd be suprised which ones impress you and for what reasons. For instance, Vector Linux or Libranet can each turn a Pentium 133 with 64mb RAM into a useable and modern workstation. Not many operating systems that can do that, eh? And Movix and GeexBox can turn a PC into a multimedia center (no HDD required). If the mood strikes you, head on down to DistroWatch.com and browse through the myriad of Linux distributions they have listed...

9. ninja fetus

thanks for everything AT! but, ive decided that my computer is homosexual in many ways, mostly compataibility since my onboard NIC isnt with most OS. SO! until i get some new gear...im...just gonna stick with the windows...>.< *smacks case yelling bad words, like its a dirty ____*

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Realtek NIC's aren't the best in the grand scheme of things, but for a cheap NIC that's supported under Linux and does what you need it to do, it's the best bet. The next choice is either a 3COM or Intel NIC. If I haven't said it before, I'll say it now: Stay the hell away from Netgear. The FA311 (the easiest to find 10/100 NIC) does not work under Linux as far as I can tell. Unless you can somehow write your own drivers for it, don't even bother.

11. Anti-Trend

I've got the FA311 working with kernels 2.4.x and up, but even so I wouldn't recommend them (and I love a lot of Netgear stuff!). The RJ-45 recepticles on the FA311 are *RETARDED*. They are designed poorly, and therefore do not make solid contact with the RJ-45's pins. You have to wiggle the network cable around a lot just to get it to connect properly. If I was you, I'd stick to just about any Realtek-based card, or if you have the $$$, 3Com or Intel. VIA Rhine NICs on VIA motherboards also work well. While there are lots of NICs that are supported by *nix, you'd be wise to keep on the beaten path.

-AT