linux question please

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by pcgeek, Oct 15, 2008.

1. pcgeek

pcgeek Geek Trainee

hey : I was wondering what is the appeal of linux as opposed to a mac or windows os , ye i know they completely dif but would be intrested in experiencing benifits thanks

2. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

I'm not a Linux user but what i understand from our fellow comrades in HWF who use Linux is because it's open source and uses very little of the system resources and doesn't crash or make stupid errors like MS does, but I'm still a MS fan till i die lol :)

3. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

I must have Mandriva setup wrong then... :confused: It constantly crashes and is so slow it's like using 98 again...

XP Rules!

4. Pimp

lol ok but that's what i understood from Linux users because they always laugh when MS fails and crashes.

but hay your an XP lover I'm a Vista lover :chk:

5. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

The only way you are really going to be able to tell whether Linux is for you is if you download and install it. I'd suggest if you are unsure, install VMware or VirtualBox and install Ubuntu inside a virtual machine

6. zeus

zeus out of date

I like linux because you can install minimalist flavours so I dont have to look at MSN, IE, the bloody task bar full of firewalls and virus scans and popup blockers.

It uses less system resources and doesnt ever seem to use the swap file. This does make it more stable than windows but it does crash. But thats probably because I sometimes download community maintained updates

Its free! Which makes a big difference. Ive got better things to spend my money on nowadys and cant afford posh computer bits anymore. I still use celeron 450mhz, and Athlon 1.6ghz pcs. Linux is great for me cos I can have the latest OS release without buying a new pc. Vista certainly wont go on my 450mhz pc!

Also, I like to be different!

But Linux sucks as much as windows imo. Compatability stinks. I have spent a day installing wifi card, another day installing my adsl modem, hours on end installing flash and stuff. Its a nightmare. Not a problem if your ok with the linux lingo but I dont have the time to learn how to use linux inside out. I just want to go on ebay n stuff!

7. Pimp

Good for you :)

btw i was looking at your computer specs and some of the stuff you got there are funny "some Radeon thing" and sound card "it works thank god" lol :chk:

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Linux offers a variety of distributions that you can download and use yourself to fit your needs, from something like the aforementioned Ubuntu to the likes of Gentoo. It's design is more open to customization instead OS X or Windows.

Now, before you look at me and think I'm another Linux guru, I'm not. I use Windows, but I have played around with Linux some. I'm infinitely more comfortable in Windows than Linux, so that, at least for the time being, is what I use.
    As already mentioned, we can't answer the question about Linux being the right OS for you. It depends on your needs in terms of support from software and hardware vendors. The biggest issue with Linux comes down to support for it from other companies. It's a Windows world out there, and consequently, where the primary, if not only, focus is.

On a pure OS level, yes, Linux is better in terms of stability and security. While Windows has made great strides, to correct the fundamental flaws, it needs to be reworked from the ground up with security in mind.

Even if you don't end up using Linux as your primary OS, it doesn't hurt to expose yourself to it.