Make sure NOT to do this.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Big B, May 4, 2002.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Here's a little experience I thought I'd pass onto you all.

While organizing my cables in my main rig, I accidentally made contact between the power supply and a 4-pin to 3-pin (for CPU fans) connector with the 3-pin part. Boom! System went down instantly. I retrieved an old PSU to see what I did and just plugged the ATX connector into the board. The system powered up, fortunately. I put the ATX connector of the PSU I'd screwed up, and it worked.

I guess I shorted or improperly grounded the PSU. I have since removed the adapter that is not in use anyway (fan doesn't need to be connected directly to PSU).

Also, 5500RPM fans are not finger friendly! (note to self: buy fan grille)

2. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Hehe, yeah I know what you mean about a grill for the fan...I did the same with my Dragon Orb 3....stuck my finger into the case for some unknown reason and, bang, straight into the fan it went....and yeah that hurt.....took a fair bit of skin off too, very impressive!.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'll get a fan grille, but I'm waiting until the local shops gets some custom laser-cut ones in. I've done a ghetto side panel on the case involving a sheet of acrylic and velcro. I had the acrylic cut in the store and snagged the velcro strips while I was at it. Total cost for the acrylic sheet and 2 packs of velcro: $10.71 USD. I need to retrieve a camera (which also has some NV7-133R pix in in it...grrr) and take some more pix.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

that happend to me is well, a few months back! luckly only the fan suffered :) had to buy a new one, after only a week of using that one...