Make Windows 8 machine broadcast different hardware signature via Bonjour

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by edijs, Jan 3, 2013.

1. edijs

edijs Programmer

Hi!
    You know how in Finder, in the Shared section on the sidebar you get all the local machines in your network? They have icons, representing their hardware (like a macbook would have a little macbook icon). PC's have a old yellowish BSOD CRT monitor. That's fine and I get the humor, but I'd like to have my Windows 8 machine appear as Generic hardware (the icon for that is the prev-gen Apple Cinema Display). I could simply change the PC icon to any other icon, but that would do things only for the Mac I change the icon in. The only way would be to somehow tell the Windows 8 machine to broadcast a different hardware ID (I do have iTunes and thus mDNSresponder.exe)

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

You can change the icon in OSX, open terminal and type. Not sure how you can broadcast different signature, sorry.

Code:
    open /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources

3. edijs

edijs Programmer

yeah, that's what's hanging around everywhere on the interwebs, but even if I wanted to do that on my own mac devices, it would still do that for every windows pc, but what I want to achieve is:
    1. Any Mac sees my PC as a different device
    2. It has to be my PC only. Say, if there are any other PCs on the network, only mine should appear as different hardware
    I've seen some guides for CentOS. It said to simply edit some config file. On windows, it seems, noone has tried this.