makeing a torrent tracker/forum

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by jester45, Aug 12, 2006.

1. jester45

jester45 Big Geek wanna be

would anyone have any clue on how much bandwith a tracker and forum would take and how good of a server i would need

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

That depends on wether your looking to host a public or private site. A lot of sites I use Moxie Hosting so check that out.

3. jester45

private probly about 1000 users maybe more depending on server/bandwith useage

i was thinking of running the server off my home connection

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

what connection do you have at home? what speed is it?

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Will you be hosting the actual files or just links to torrents where they're available?

6. jester45

just links and tracking it like who is downloading what and how much they uploaded and how many peers/seeds there are on then torents i would be downloading/seeding some of the torrents

i have 15mbps/5mbps

7. zeus

zeus out of date

I doubt your isp will let you do that using your comp as a server and reckon most web hosts wont allow it either.

Theres plenty of that stuff about already.

Find a dropshipper and make money! if you wanna start a website.

8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

His ISP wont know i dont think, i mean i had account on my server for people to download off, i had it going through SSL Explorer, it was really hard to set up coz of AOL and my Router, but AOL did not stop me, and i bet they knew what i was uploading to people too.

9. jester45

i have had a website on this computer b4 but it was very simple i made it notepad and only had it up about 3 months but people could get on it a download some files i had on it i had a prgram to host http it was pretty cool not apache i dont like that

10. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Use a website like megaupload.com or turboupload.com and host your file there. They will provide you a link to the file...Email that link to your friends so that they can download it.

11. jester45

its not that im trying to let friends on it i dont have 1000 friends im tring to get up something like the pirtes bay but smaller and higher standers on things like ratio

if i was going ot just send a file i would go with a ftp sever or maybe even aim