maxtor vs. western digital

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by jub jub, Jan 28, 2004.

1. jub jub

jub jub Geek Trainee

Re: Maxtor 250 GB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
    vs. Western Digital GB ultra-ata (WD2500-JBRTL).

Which is the better hard drive for multi-media applications (ignoring price)? Both have 250 GB of space, but Maxtor has an ATA/133 interface vs. only 100 ATA for Western Digital.

Thanks for the opinions.

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Ok first of all, forget about the ATA 133 vs. ATA 100. The difference isn't as big as you would think.

I always by WD. They have been extremely reliable to me (As opposed to Maxtor) and this is the only reason why I buy them.

I believe a hdd should be bought for its reliability first, then performance, then everything else. Because after all, important data will be stored on that drive and I'm pretty sure that if I give you the choice between:

a) the security of your data

or

b) the speed at which you access your data

you will probably choose a) (at least that's what you should do).

for that reason, I choose WD any day over any brand.

That being said, Maxtor isn't bad at all. some people have had very good experience with them and very bad experience with WD. However, I can't see myself recommanding anything but WD. Even if it's slower than Maxtor and even if it's louder than Seagate. And when I say slower or louder, it's nothing dramatic and you probably won't notice it.

I'd say that the difference in speed between ATA 133 and ATA 100 is the same as between single and dual-channel for the Ram or AGP8x and AGP 4x for video cards: it's nothing to write your mother about.

And about the noise..I'm pretty sure you have louder things than hdds in your system so donT' even think about that particular characteristic.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

A while back I had to RMA a few Maxtors, but lately, they've had good stuff.

Again, ATA100 v 133 isn't much more than marketing. ATA133 is slightly faster, but the only way you can tell is with benchmarks. As for noise, the ones I have currently are quiet, and I'm used to being able to hear them. If it wasn't for my HDD activity light on my case, I wouldn't know if anything's going on.