Mice Malfuction

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rakashen, Mar 18, 2011.

1. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

So before I explain the problem, I'll start with the background information. I recently restored an HP dv9700 laptop that is running windows vista. Now that laptop was using a wireless mouse by logitech. Upon restoration that mouse stopped working (I unplugged mouse> replugged into usb hub, unplugged mouse > replugged directly into laptop) and whenever I try to plug it into any usb slot there is no new hardware being installed that I usually get.

So after this I take the mouse from my Dell E6410 running windows 7 basic, a wired logitech mouse, and plug it into the HP laptop. The mouse works, after posting on another forums on why the mouse didn't work I was asked to run windows update ( I would of ran it anyways ) so I could get up to date. After the HP laptop restarted the wired mouse stopped working... I then took that wired mouse back to my Dell laptop > plugged it in > ...and it doesn't work here either...

Luckily I can use the touchpad, I have a third computer but I don't want to plug in either devices to ruin it, as its a desktop and if the mice fail then there is no touchpad. So now I have no idea how to fix this problem with mice that aren't broken (at least I don't think so). If anyone could shed some light it was be appreciated as I need this mouse to do some school work so this actually turned into a serious matter.

Regards,
    Dan

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

It could be that you lost some drivers upon restoration or maybe even have conflicting drivers.
    -Firstly, i would remove any and all programs you don't use or don't need from "Add/Remove" in the "Control Panel".
    -Next, type in "MSCONFIG" in Start Menu>Run. Click the "Startup" tab and remove anything you don't need to start up with Vista (leave any HP items ticked).
    -Now, type in "CLEANMGR" in "Run", again. This will open up Windows Disk Cleanup. Tick off all items and then press OK.

Now that we've cleared up a bit of clutter, restart and go to this website. I've linked it to the DV9700 support page, but you'll need to select which DV97XX you have. Once you found your exact model, select the version of Vista you have (ie. 64-bit, Ultimate, Enterprise...). Now, you're a few steps away from downloading a few drivers. You'll see a section named "Driver-Chipset". Go to that section and download the file. This is your motherboard's driver and controls many I/O functions of a PC. Install the driver and restart.

If none of the above solved your problems, be sure to write back. There are still a few tricks we can try out partner...

3. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Sorry, just one driver

4. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

Could you help me with my Dell laptop instead? The HP is being used right now, even the mouse that was working fine on my Dell laptop doesn't work anymore. It's like I plugged the mouse into a broken computer and it broke the mouse in a way...

5. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Try the same steps with your Dell. And don't forget to install chipset drivers.

Try this too: restart your Dell and get into your BIOS (press "del" key during boot). In BIOS, look for "restore to factory settings". Apple the changes!

6. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

Which one should I download for dell under chipset drivers, 4 choices: Intel - Driver applies to: chipset software installation utility, Intel - Driver applies to: dual-core turbo boost driver, Intel - Driver applies to: AMT HECI, Ricoh - Driver applies to R5U24x.

7. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

I guess the first one.

8. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

Installed the first driver, restarted computer, went into bios, couldn't find any factory settings, mouse still doesn't work.

9. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

I think the HP laptop broke both my mice or something... I plugged both mice onto my desktop computer and not even the wired one works...

10. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Are there any drivers for your mouse?

11. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

No, there is only software, some program called Setpoint. If you sort the mice by picture I have the MX400 (wired) and the V450 Nano (wireless).
    http://www.logitech.com/en-us/428/4335?WT.z_sp=Image&osid=14&bit=32
    Edit: Downloaded SetPoint for the heck of it but it doesn't detect the mouse, I just asked a friend who had the program installed. When a mouse is detected you get a tab called My Mouse and you cant add/remove mice.

12. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Hm, do you connect the mice via USB or PS/2 controller? Vista (and 7) implemented theyre own power saving feature under "Power Options", which allows the system to shut down anything connected via USB, in order to conserve energy. What you might want to do is configure those power settings so that it uses maximum performance and not maximum energy savings.

13. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

Connect via USB, I believe your talking about extended battery life mode? I use balanced during the day, high performance for demanding usage, and extended battery if I need to leave the laptop on for a few hours (at night). Currently on high performance.

14. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

And you made sure that under all of these profiles, under advanced settings, that "USB Selective Suspend" is disabled?

15. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

Its currently on enabled... However It was enabled for the past 5 months with this wired mouse... Let me change to disabled and see what happens. I assume I don't need to restart computer?
    Well nothing happened I'll restart my computer now.
    Edit: Usually the best common sense is to unplug the mouse before the restart and plug it in after the computer has settled down? Or leave the mouse in the whole time.

16. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Nope, unnecessary. I hope it works.

17. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

Well I haven't restarted and nothing worked.
    Edit: restarted and the mouse still doesn't work : (

18. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Darn, the only thing left to suggest is upgrading your BIOS. But i would try to test a friends mouse first.
    If all fails, i suspect your USB ports are the imposters.

19. rakashen

rakashen Geek Trainee

I tested a USB flash drive that always worked like this wired mouse, the flash drive still works. I plugged the wired mouse onto my desktop computer and it doesn't work there either.

20. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Then it has to be the mouse. Try and borrow one