mind boggling

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Techguy10101, May 22, 2008.

1. Techguy10101

Techguy10101 Geek Trainee

just got this router

Netgear - RangeMax NEXT Wirelss Router model WNDR3300 & using the Netgear WNDA3100 USB adapter.

so this is the new N router, and hmm it is backward compatible with G... so i have 2 connections, the N connection and the G connection, now my laptop and Wii are going through the G connection, but since i have the N adapter, i want to connect this computer to the N connection, but it refuses and goes to the G automatically, and i am just confused..

my N connection is on channel 157 and my G is on channel 11, i am using the Netgear smartwizard, and i connect to the channel 157 N and when it connects it says channel 11, both SSID's are the same name & passworded, if i do not have the same SSID i cannot use WPS client.

anyone have any ideas?

do i need to change the SSID name?

note, i do not know what a WPS client is.

and i do not know if the computer the router is connected to is running the N connection either, so if anyone could help me figure this out, would be much appreciated.

2. Techguy10101

Techguy10101 Geek Trainee

ok hurray for new problem

i changed the mode in my router to "up to 270Mbs at 2.4ghz"

which is only N, which means 1 SSID and yea, i restarted my router/modem, and now i am connected to it, i ran a speedtest and for some reason, my download speed is worse than it was, lol... i am going to change it back until i get some feedback.

the other mode is "up to 270Mbs at 5ghz and 54Mbs at 2.4ghz"

this mode enables the N & G and 2 SSID's...

3. krock923

krock923 Geek Trainee

Well, unless your pipe is 270Mbps, then it won't make a difference how fast your LAN is. Having a faster LAN than Internet connection is completely useless unless you're doing a lot of local transfers.