Modem Woes

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Nic, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Okay...A few months ago my internet connection just decided to stop working so after trying for a nigt to get it back online it just wasnt playing ball. I was trying various wires when I came across my USB cable suppleid int he box I thought 'It can't hurt to try' plugged it in, downloaded my drivers and et voila working interent connection. This has never troubled me much as thus far Ive ad no specific need to use an ethernet cable. Enter the uncle (alway tends to be the roots of my problems) "I want to you to split the connection 80% to me and 20% tou yu as I pay the bill." So after having a look online i read I could do this using windows and the easiest way would be to get a router (Im thinking ahh thats pretty good I can use my wireless car on my laptop then.) So off I toddle and I purchase myself a D-Link DI-514. So its all good till I get home and think okay Ill try to set it up and bam obviusly you need an ethernet cable and Id forgotten about my previous modem troubles. So I plug in the ethernet cable into my pc and modem and BAM my connection dissappears (My modem is the Motorola SB5101E). SO yeah you guys ave any ideas on how to fix it? Sorry for the big long story for that but without background information it seems so much more....pointless

PS The connection completely dissapears when I plug in via the ethernet cable

EDIT: Okay....after fiddling some more I do believe I need to reprogrammmy mac address. Which I havt the foggiest how to do....so maybe ill just put a new network card in.
    EDIT 2: Put new NIC card in and now it does recgnise a connection (hallehluyah) however it is saying something is unplugged
    EDIT 3: Okkkay so now its saying cnnected but I cant ping anything or go on the internet

2. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

First off check to see if your connection is set to receive TCP/IP info via DHCP, as well as the DNS info. Then in IE go to tools > internet options > connections, select Never dial a connection, then click on LAN settings. In here make sure that all boxes are unchecked, hit Ok, Apply, and Ok again. If all this is done you should have internet connectivity assuming you're going though a router.

And also, I don't think you can split the connection bandwidth by percent within windows, I've read you can however do it through linux, just don't ask me how.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to set your firewall's to allow ping requests or to just disable the firewall.

3. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Thanks alot mate. Not currently at home but Ill try all that again when I get in. Also the splitting thing Im pretty sure I can do that. Not quite as he wants but close enough :)

4. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Out of curiosity, how are you going to split the connection via windows?

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

3rd party software....which since 9am ths morning I cant find nw :S