mother of all beep codes

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by threevolve, Mar 2, 2005.

1. threevolve

threevolve Geek Trainee

This one has so far baffled everyone I have asked for help.

Normally, I am very proficient with computers, and I am and have been able to resolve any problem that has come up. Until now.

I recently purchased a Soyo KT880 Dragon 2 motherboard as a replacement for my Biostar/Amptron M7NCD. The Soyo turned out to be DOA, so I decided to RMA it and reinstall my Biostar until I could get a replacement. After hooking everything back up, to my great dismay, my beloved computer's fans spun up for about 3 seconds, and then abruptly stopped, leaving me with nothing but a power on LED, and my system speaker making a sound like that of a british police siren (high-low-high-low-high-low-high-low...). This beeping seems to be infinitely looped unless I physically disconnect the power supply from the wall socket, or hold down the power button for about 20 seconds. I have tried alternate memory, CPU, motherboard, hard disks, and also tried booting by process of elimination, leaving out these items one at a time.

NOTHING has made any difference. Note: with the alternate motherboard, the fans kept going, no weird euro-siren beep, but still no POST and no Video.

Strange note: One time, one single time, after this started, I got into Windows and managed to log in before I got the power cut and siren.

I'm out of ideas, and I'm out of money.

Any suggestions?

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

This suggest that your original motherboard that did beep was obviously faulty, perhaps from old age or perhaps from static of being move about whilst you had your Soyo, then due to the static - or jsut the damaged motherboard, when you powered your system back on using the faulty motherboard you then damaged more components in the process.

Also i would check for stupid mistakes that everyone makes like making sure the board is grounded properly, you've reset the CMOS, tried each different individual memory stick in Dimm1, made sure that your powersupply isn't faulty (try a different one that you know works and is of similiar if not more power than your current PSU), make sure you have both 4PinATX & 20/24Pin ATX connected to the motherboard. Try booting with no hard drives connected / optical drives / floppy drives - just bare minimum - intergrated graphics if you have it, if not: grphx card / mobo / cpu / 1 piece of memory.

Something must be faulty or the connections / wiring are not correct, there is always a reason behind it.

Get a piece of memory that will work in your computer (Biostar) and make sure it works in another system (JUST running that same memory stick- no others - this tells you if that system works, so does the memory).

Then make sure your CPU is seated properly, with HSF seated properly, make sure your motherboard is grounded properly and your graphics card is seated correctly (clearing any dust out using canned air or a hair drier set to cold).

Make sure your powersupply is ok, use a different PSU u know works, make sure your jumpers and CMOS are set correctly for your components.

Connect your computer straight to a socket (not an extension - this will eliminate power shorts).

If NOthing works, and literally you have tried everything i would try replacing the CMOS battery the standard CMOS battery used in all motherboards since K7/PIII are: 3-Volt CR2032 Lithium Non-rechargable batteries (these are a "standard" battery and you can find them in any electonrical shop).

3. threevolve

threevolve Geek Trainee

Thanks for the help - It's all resolved now, my baby is back in action. Turns out it was caused by the new case I had bought weeks earlier. Instead of standard screw-type motherboard standoffs, it had these metal 'hooks', where you kind of hinge the motherboard onto them, and then there's one screw standoff that holds it all in place. Seemed like a good idea - until it started shorting the board and caused this whole mess. Needless to say I returned the case to CompUSA for a refund and suggested that they consider recalling the case, as that could have fried my whole setup. I wonder if I'm the only one who's experienced that with that case.

4. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

cool glad u resolved your problem m8

5. Sorensen

Sorensen Geek Trainee

Hey, I'm having this EXACT same problem now, I have an NF7 abit mobo and It WAS crashing right before it could boot up for a few days untill I started getting a windows protection error instead and now theres no chance I can make it to windows.