MSI CD-R/RW only recognised as CD-ROM - I'm out of ideas!

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by tomhellman, Jul 14, 2004.

1. tomhellman

tomhellman Geek Trainee

hey guys, I have someones computer whos burner doesnt work. I cant think of any other ideas to get it working. It is an MSI CD-R/RW 48x24x48 and it is only being recognised as a standard cd-rom (in both easy cd creator4.05 and nero). I have also tried my Asus 52x burner in this machine and the same thing happens (only recognised as a cd-rom)
    We first thought it just needed a format but we did that and the same problem persisted.

It was originally set as a slave on the primary ide controller, but i have since tried it on the secondary controller, a different ide cable, setting it to cable select and also as a master. the same thing happens!!

I just tried taking out the cmos battery and waiting a bit to put it back in, but that didnt fix it.

and then i put this msi burner in another machine and it works flawlessly!

does anyone have any ideas of how to get it working????? I would be appreciated of any help out there

system is:
    550mhz
    192mb RAM
    windows 98 SE
    burner = ATAPI CD-RW CW4801

Cheers,

Tommo.

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

In the system where the burner works, what is the os and are you using the same burning programs (same versions) ?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Make sure you've got the latest updates for either program, since they add support for newer drives.

4. tomhellman

tomhellman Geek Trainee

The system it works on has winme installed and I had nero on it, I am going to put easy cd on it and try that

i downloaded all the updates for easy cd and direct cd

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

You might wanna look for some drivers.

You usualy don't need special drivers for ide drives to work, but since it works in Me and not in 98SE (Me being newer), that could be the issue.

6. tomhellman

tomhellman Geek Trainee

yeah i thought of that but there wasnt any drivers that were easy to find. and plus, it used to work on 98se fine i dont know what they did to it to make it stop working. but whatever they did its more detaile than just being able to format

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You never need drivers for an IDE drive which is internal, unless you're running a DOS-based OS such as Win3.x. By the sound of your current burning software, it's not much newer than the OS it's running on. Big B is right in saying that updates to the burning software add support for newer burners. I'd stake a fair amount of cash on the assumption that your burning software is simply too old. Download the *latest* version of Nero and give that a whirl.

All the best,
    -AT

8. tomhellman

tomhellman Geek Trainee

I'm downloading nero 6 so we'll give that a go. but i had all the updates for easy cd creator even though it was only 4.05 i still woulda thought it could recognise an msi 48x24x48 burner.
    i'll get back to yous in a few minutes

9. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, that drive was made within the last year or so, and Easy CD Creator 4.05 (the latest update to version 4.0) was released in June of 2001. I think it's fair to say the two are not compatible. :)

10. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Oh and btw, I would stick to nero instead of Roxio.

I don't have much experience in burning cds but I can tell without a doubt that nero is more compatible and causes less problems in Windows (none actually).

I had all kinds of problems getting my cd-rw (media) recognized in Easy CD Creator but nero had no problem at all.