My new endever!

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by ProcalX, Sep 24, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

After my accident, picking up / relearning the majority of my knowledge has been fun / interesting, and rather aggrevating at the same time.

However, now with sufficient IT knowledge, the only things i am lacking in is my knowledge of programming, i've retaught myself my graphics work on ps7/psp8, retaught html / php / asp.

Am looking at in my own time, learning VB6 over again and advancing to VB.Net.

However.. onto why i posted in the linux forums..
    Since i have been re-employed by the company i worked for before my accident, (as an IT Admin) .. even though i was struggling with my knowledge of IT... which is so generous of them, i've got my IT knowledge up to a very good level, if not better than it was before my accident.

However myself and my boss are upgrading are network, we are ditching are warranty for are dual processor server, and purchasing a loveling dual processor Xeon 3.06ghz, now, we are upgrading to linux (Suse Desktop / Server Editions), bar the standard users who will use windows.

Can someone explain to me, for personal use, how i can do these things:

Install Linux on a machine already with Windows.. (i know its v.easy to do) i have:

C:\ (60GB)
    D:\ (160GB) on the pc i want it on, however both drives are as they are, with lots of stuff on them. is it possible to install linux on the D:\ drive (SATA) ???.. if so would i have to partiion it or format or what? as i tried installing and it wouldnt work on either drives...

also.. big question is it possible to run an SQL server on linux? (if possible MS SQL) or not?

there will be lots of questions linux wise coming round... this forums way, over the next few weeks, we are upgrading the whole company to linux.

:good:

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hey ProcalX, glad to hear everything is going so well for you! Also, props on the new network upgrade... Suse is an excellent distro, much better than Red Hat says I. As far as running Suse in a dual-boot on your Windows box, you can accomplish this pretty easily. You'll want to resize your existing partition on your extra drive and install it there, I'd imagine. To be 100% honest though, you'll learn more at a faster pace if you go totally Linux. I learned more in my first month of running Linux exclusively than in almost a year of dual-booting.

All the best,
    -AT

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

by going totally linux you mean purely just running suse? not along side windows...

if so, i'll do that as tbh the only thing i use windows for is CS / downloading and listening to music.. which i can do on linux bar CS.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, I'm happy to tell you that you're wrong there! :good: You can play CS, quite well actually, in Linux. You can play it in WINE(free), or to do it perfectly, you'll need Cedega (WineX 4.0). Cedega requires a $15, one-time subscription to TransGaming. Well worth it if you ask me. Check out their compatibility list!

-AT

P.S - Please forgive the horrible-looking WindowMaker desktop pictured below; I'm not running HL/CS, so I had to "borrow" the screenshot.

Attached Files: