My pc running to hot? cpu 51c

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by giga, Sep 7, 2005.

1. giga

giga Geek Trainee

When i really hammer my pc with 3dmark or any decent game it reboots or shutsdown.... now i've tested memory with memtest in dos.. other than eliminating the memory i've eliminated the agp graphics card.. the remaining probs i have are either it's running too hot, motherboard prob or CPU prob.

My standing temp from running for 2 hours is CPU = 51c, Mboard = 42c.

Whats your views on my temp and what does yours run at?

Thanks lads

Giga

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

check if you have your heatsink/fan on the cpu correctly, i have a prescott pentium 4 3.0ghz and these are thought to run very hot and my standing temperature is 49 degrees.

3. Addis

Addis The King

Your CPU should be able to handle upto 60c load stable, are you using stock cooling though?

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

my CPU is currently idling at 23*C...thats very cool for air cooing though. i would say you need some new cooling, stock obviously isnt cutting it for you.

5. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

You should consider new cooling options as Matt555 mentioned as 51 is too high for IDLE temps!
    Currently i have an AMD XP 2800+ with stock cooling and it idle's at 29 and on load it's 45 maximum!

6. curtis20

curtis20 Guest

i have a 2500+ with stck cooloing ana when im gaming it can reach 58c and when im not it idles at aroung 47c but now i have a huge gouse fan on it so it gets down to 36c

7. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

stock cooling isn't that bad, but you should pick up some arctic silver 5 thermal compound. The thermal pad that's used on stock AMD coolers is more for comfort of the CPU rather than heat conductivity. It's meant to ease the troubles of worried heatsink installers that are worried about crushing the CPU. Arctic silver 5 should bring the temperature down quite a bit, just clean off the heatsink's bottom with rubbing alcohol and the CPU's die. Apply as thin sheet of arctic silver as possibly on the CPU die, install the heatsink and you're good to go.

8. pelvis_3

The fetus is right!
    My old celery 1.8ghz (celery thats right, why? because celerons are like celery-soft, weak and bland yet they have the slightly crunchy flavour of pentiums!) was idling at 39C with stock thermal pad and after application of AS5 i was idling at 32!, thats a 7 degree difference!

9. ninja fetus

my friends 2.8 prescott was 55-60 IDLE and around 65 load, AS lowered to around 45-50 idle and doesn't go above 55 now.

10. pelvis_3

That's a big difference but even 45C seems a bit high does'nt it?

11. ninja fetus

stock cooling though, sucks for prescotts

12. giga

giga Geek Trainee

Cool, looks like i'l get some artic compounds stuff and upgrade the heatsink / fan on the cpu....

The exhaust blowers look pretty nifty aswell!!

Nice1

13. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I have a pressy 3.0Ghz me.

Used to idle at 48-50C with stock cooler and climbe to 60C or more while playing or converting video.

As a quieting down process, I started by getting the Freezer 4. My idle is now 40-42. I did not put any pressure on it yet. No time..... :swear:

For thermal paste, I use Ceramiq because then I can put loads on and not worry about over spilling and conducting :confused:

Can't shutting down happen because of other components like memory overheating? I realy do not know as I never stressed my PC to the shutdown stage.

One thing that some people tend to forget. It is all well and good to put a nice cooler on the CPU but if you are not geting enough fresh air into the case then your cooler is just churning already hot air. My next step is to mount a new side fan. Unfortunately there is no mounting point in the side pannel but this should only make things more interesting :cool:

Keep it cool!

14. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

ahh my case is awesome for clean fresh cool air, (its covered in holes, i need to post some new pics of my 'beast' well from the outside it looks like that, the innards are just crappy...(apart from my cooling and PSU....and maybe my sound card as its pretty good)

15. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Pictures then.....

I noticed your Freezer is facing towards the PSU.
    I wanted to do the same but my push-down clips were obstructed by some USB sockets or something simillar. So the only way was downwards. Not ideal as it is blowing hot air toward the G Card. However, the hot air gets sucked out straight away by the back fan which is literaly 'kissing' the Heatsink....

Oh well.... can't always win.....

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah ideally i'd like to have it facing the back fan to suck air out straight away, but that aint gonna happen...although the air is sucked out pretty well as it is, but anyway back on topic the zalman coolers are very good from what i've hear on the, i also hear the gigabyte ones are quite good as well, but for me arctic freezer 4 is the best...although since i bought it it has doubled in price on www.overclockers.co.uk but its very cheap here