My system froze....AGAIN

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by harrack52, Jul 16, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Ok first of all, what'S this ?

Faulting application regtwk.exe, version 0.0.0.16, faulting module regtwk.exe, version 0.0.0.16, fault address 0x0000193f.

The Source is: Application Error

This is what Even Viewer reported under the apps tabs. I wasn'T home at that moment and when I arrived everything was working fine so I don't know what's the deal with that, but that's a side note, that's not the main problem.

I also have many others (5-6) (Source: Crypt32).

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: 0x3a

It concerns the autoupdates, I guess it's not critical since I don'T use the autoupdate feature, but I may be mistaken.

Concerning the freezings (is that even a word ?):

Event viewer reports nothing about that:
    Logical since what happens is the computer freezes and nothing works.
    ctrl+alt+del doesn'T work, the mouse doesn'T work, nothing works except the reset and power buttons. So I guess before the OS even realizes what's happening, the system's frozen.

I tried running my vid card at specs speed (400/300) but it still happens.
    It seems to happen when I'm doing something, whether I'm on the net writing posts for HardwareForums (like the last time it crashed :p ), or playing a game like ut2k3.

I was experiencing reboots with my via based board and the way I fixed the problem is by lowering the mem timings, so instead of being 5-2-2-2@133, it's now 6-3-3-2.5@133.
    That memory is ******* crap since it's rated@166 but it can't even do 5-2-2-2@133 (which gives me a score boost of 300 pts in 3dmark01....not much I know but it'S still there !)
    The brand is elixir. I guess it works fine for a small office system or something like that, but it's definitely not enough for people who seek performance.
    I've also put the cpu interface to Optimal instead of Aggressive. (Optimal is relative of course, you should read:"Optimal stability", not "Optimal performance")

Anyways, I'll keep you guys posted on that but I'd like to hear some more suggestions, although I think I hit the nail on that one.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

again? lol, what do you do on your computer :) j/k what is the regtwk.exe application?

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It has something to do with Rage3dTweak, and probably with the registries, but I don'T know what it does exactly.

4. zeus

zeus out of date

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Ok problem solved as it has not crashed in the last 2 days.

Problem was:

THE RAM of course.

This ram just won't do the fastest timings @133, even though I have PC2700.
    Anyways, I'm getting new ram so it's no big deal.
    I'm not getting the twinmos as it turns out, because the guy (on amdmb) does not seem to want to get in touch with me, so I'm taking my business elsewhere. (Would you spit on $110 usd ? I know I wouldn't !)

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Check your other thread for what to buy. :)