need help guys

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Techguy10101, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Techguy10101

Techguy10101 Geek Trainee

i have a asus striker extreme nvidia 680i motherboard \ Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz processor

i have read people who have OCed to 3.2ghz with no problems, i would like to know how to OC my processor through BIOS as i heard NTUNE sucks...

would love some input on this, thanks guyz

btw, my CPU is running at 34c ... system at 55c & graphics card 74c

hope i am able to do this, without f***ing anything up...

2. zeus

zeus out of date

Its difficult to explain fully without actually knowing all the BIOS settings you have to play with.
    In a nutshell all you have to do is increase your FSB in small increments at a time then stress test each overclock.

When you increase your FSB the cpu is overclocked (cpu freq = fsb x multiplier of cpu) Bare in mind fsb have mulitpliers of their own nowadays. ie a 400mhz fsb is really 100x4. Im not up to scratch at all with the latest processors and motherboards so it will take me ages to recite the way your setup will work. Im guessing you have a 1066mhz fsb which is possibly 266mhz x 4 or are they even 533mhz x 2 now?
    The ram will also overclock as it also runs off the fsb. You will have to post your ram speed for us to know exactly what changes each of your fsb jumps will make your cpu and ram.

I used to use prime95 for the cpu and memtest86 for the memory.

The other basic part to overclocking is the voltage of both your cpu and ram. A 2.4 - 3.2ghz overclock will almost certainly include an overvolt. For the time being forget about the voltage and see what you can get from stock voltage. IMO overvolting should only be used to make a slightly unstable overclock more stable and not to get a slighly higher overclock.

Keep a close eye on your temps and do your stress tests properly. If you can run for 24hrs without too many issues you probably have a sound overclock.

Intel sell different revisions of thier cpus so just because someones cpu can get 3.2 doesnt mean you will get close to that. My overclocking days were a few years back. My p4 got 2.4-2.5 (B0 Step) whereas the C1 or D1 stepped cpus got 3.2 quite often.

Note that if your motherboard is currently operating at its max default fsb then when you go over that fsb standard you will also be overclocking your chipset. You will notice pci issues, cracking from onboard sound etc. The northbridges often run hot so keep tabs on that temp too. Ive not come across a motherboard with a temp sensor on a northbridge but it might be common now so check your motherboard manual on that.

Temps and voltages are usually the killer.

3. zeus

zeus out of date

Good thermal paste and heatsink fans make all the difference as does good intake and exhaust fans on your case. People have different views but on my case I found a good exhaust made for a cooler case than if I concentrated on intake. You could just drill a hole in your mums fridge for the wires and put it in there! :)

4. Techguy10101

i've read other people do it without increasing voltage or ram...

i'll have to take another peak at my bios settings and post up here for better information

5. zeus

zeus out of date

Yeah, some boards can lock the mem freq.

6. Techguy10101

ok

Extreme Tweaking (bios setting tab)

AI Tuning [Auto] the options are Manuel, Auto, Standard, AI Overclock, AI N.O.S

X Overclock Options
    X N.O.S Options
    X System Clocks
    X FSB and Memory Config

> Overclocking - in that section

CPU type
    speed
    cache ram

CPU multiplier [9] (min 6 max 50)

back to AI Tuning, with it set to Auto

Overclock options [Disabled] becomes selectable

in that setting you have, 5% 10% 15% 20%

the other stuff is memory timings and whatnot, stuff i really don't want to change

i am looking to change the processor speed of 2.4ghz to 3.2ghz

*edit* i put the FSB to 1200 and my processor is now at 2.70ghz

what should i set it as to get to 3.2ghz?