Need help upgrading video card and PSU

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by trixr4kidsdawg, Aug 3, 2007.

1. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

step 1: turn computer off and unplug the mains cable.

step 2: open case

step3: locate pci-e slot

step 4: remove metal bracket blocking the slot in the back of the case.

step 5: align graphics card in the slot and push the card gently but firmly in the slot.

step 6: IMPORTANT: plug in pci-e power plug in the back of the graphics card and then

step 7:replace case door and plug in the power cable and boot.

step 8: go into bios (this is to double check usually you dont have to ) make sure integrated graphics is disabled.)

step 9: once in windows, load latest drivers.

it could have been a bit more condensed, but its all there... have fun

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

@roy that is correct:good: on motherboards that auto disable the onboard grfx, however, some motherboards do not auto disable onboard grfx, try these steps,
    • go into bios & make sure integrated graphics is disabled.
    • turn computer off and unplug the mains cable.
    • open case
    • locate pci-e slot
    • remove metal bracket blocking the slot in the back of the case.
    • align graphics card in the slot and push the card firmly in the slot.
    • IMPORTANT: plug in pci-e power plug in the back of the graphics card and then
    • replace case door and plug in the power cable and boot.
    • once in windows, load the drivers from the installation CD or download the latest drivers.

Edit: BTW: if you don't have an anti-static wrist strap, just touch an exposed metal part of the PC case every minute or so, for as long as the systems case is open

this prevent static damage to the components you are touching

3. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

rule of the thumb, never wear a wool jumper/jacket or place the components on the carpet.

and donkey42, hows linux and life without windows

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

generally good :good:, however, there are times when i could throw this :swear:ing thing through the window

but i'm glad to be away from M$ and linux is free & so is most software, although i prefer not to compile source code (but i can if i have to)

basically, with linux, you have to find an alternative way to do things, and think differently

i do highly recommend linux but it's not for the faint hearted

BTW: i've being using it exclusively for about 2 years & i'm still learning

switch to linux, if i can do it you can too, cos i've got brain damage

have you tried *nix yet ?

5. trixr4kidsdawg

trixr4kidsdawg Geek Trainee

already know how to put the video card in and install drivers my main question is how do i uninstall my integrated graphics so i wont have to deal with them again?

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you don't uninstall them, just disable the on board grafx in the BIOS

if you have problems, it may help if you set your resolution to 640 X 480 and change the grafx card to Standard VGA in display settings (Control Panel) and reboot and enter BIOS and disable onboard grfx (probably in "Integrated Peripherals") then save BIOS settings and turn your system off and insert the grfx card (obviously remembering to move the monitor cable to the grafx card)

Edit: you can remove the drivers i you want but it is unnecessary unless you are running out of harddisk space, uninstalling the grfx drivers will only free about 30 - 50Mb of harddisk space, just leave the old grfx drivers for now, it won't do any harm

7. trixr4kidsdawg

where the hell is BIOS?

8. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

press Delete during the first screen after you turn on the computer or f10

9. trixr4kidsdawg

ooooooooooo ok i know where thanx:p

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well BIOS stands for Basic Input / Output System, and it is unique to you motherboard (make & model)

usually you enter the BIOS at POST (Power On Self Test (when you system beeps before bootup)

usually you press <Del>

your system may tell you how to enter the BIOS or CMOS setup, it may say something like "Press <Del> to run BIOS setup" once in the BIOS navigate with the cursor keys to "Integrated Peripherals" and press <enter> now locate an option like "onboard VGA" and disable it by highlighting it & <enter> select disable, now press <Esc> then exit, saving changes (usually <F10> and confirm then turn the PC off and insert the grfx card and move the monitor cable to your new grfx card and turn your system on Windows should automatically detect the new grafx card

BTW: once your new grfx card is setup and working, you can then remove the old grfx drivers if you want, but personally i find it better to leave them installed, so, you can automatically use you old driver with you old grfx card if you have a problem with your new grfx card, officially you should remove the old driver before you insert you new grfx card, but i've never had a problem with leaving the old drivers where they are

11. trixr4kidsdawg

ok ok thanx

12. trixr4kidsdawg

when i start the computer and go to BIOS it doesnt show the video peripherals. But when i go to device manager and i go to the display adapter it sais disable or uninstall.

13. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

you probably would have to dig bios to find it, but you can just disable the onboard graphics from device manager...

14. trixr4kidsdawg

ok im gunna do it from device manager cause i dont want to mess with the BIOS settings.

15. trixr4kidsdawg

16. donkey42

donkey42 plank

either one is fine,

however, the OCZ only has a 3 year warranty & the Corsair has a 5 year warranty, but, how long do you plan to use this PSU ? if your like me you'll use it till it dies

personally i'd check if the 700W is really 700W, however OCZ have a pretty solid reputation

Edit:
    that won't work, you can try removing the grfx driver from add / remove programs & shutdown then install new grfx card & hope your system auto disables on board grafx

edit:
    How ?
    i haven't used XP for about 2 years but i don't remember that:confused:

17. trixr4kidsdawg

yea im gunna use it ill it dies but what do u mean by checking if its actually 700W?

18. donkey42

donkey42 plank

some crap PSUs manufactures advertise their PSU is (example value only) 500W but in fact a good quality 350W PSU can outperform it, just check the online reviews to see what people have said about it

19. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

In graphics adapters in the device manager, the sub item of it is either your graphics card or the onboard graphics, you can right click and disable it or uninstall the drivers from there. But then again, I've always used BIOS to do that, but im pretty sure they do the same thing.

20. trixr4kidsdawg

how much video memory would i need to use a 25 inch LCD screen?