Need help with new system

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Kingkobra, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah many people have bought cheap cases and made em look good, usually with good airflow cases u get stuff with em, i have heard of people making their cases better for airflow by cutting holes and covering them with fan grills to stop unwanted things from entering...but good quality cases usually mean u get good quality stuff, and they dont have to be expensive!

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

unlike lian li which rules but is expensive haha

but yeah i agree

3. Kingkobra

Kingkobra Geek Trainee

Any Final help needed

I already have:
    1. ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
    2. AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor
    3. Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3160023A-RK 250GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
    4. Plextor PX-716A 4X Internal Dual Layer DVD±R/RW CD-R/RW Drive Retail

My "wish to buy" other parts are these:

5. eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
    6. Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail
    7. CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail
    8. Logitech Elite 967234-0403 Black USB + PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard - Retail
    9. Logitech MX500 930763-0403 2 tone 8 Buttons 1x Wheel USB + PS/2 Optical Mouse - Retail
    10. ZALMAN CNPS7000B-ALCU 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan - Retail
    11. Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail

Any advice before I buy?
    Speakers are cheap i know.
    Are 2 GB to much ?

Thanks

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

2GB thats good, the more the merrier, i reccomend 4gb :p

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I find it's actually a better value/performance ratio to buy two kits of dual-channel 1gig rather than a kit of dual channel 2gigs. The latency on the 2gig sets usually aren't very good and they kind of charge more than they need too:(

6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

just get 2 sticks, so you can run DC on them, then later when microsoft ships longhorn you'll get another 2 gigs to have 4 gigs DC

wow a plextor dvd drive, i envy you, is that by any chance the best one available on market?

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

What makes them so good?

8. Kingkobra

Kingkobra Geek Trainee

I've erased the zalman cooling device.
    Reviews say that's too heavy.
    I have replaced the Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply
    with ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI 535W Power Supply.
    Thanks and keep it coming

9. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Well as far as the Plextor, it can overburn up to 200 MB on a CD, according to Computer Shopper. Also, I guess 2 gigs is fine, but it's not really needed, and 4 gigs is a massive waste of money unless you really need it (gamers don't). Also, I agree with Ex on the video card, do X800 XL. I have a post somewhere *finds it* here. Explains all about video card prices and performance.

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Oh yeah that's right, I've got a Lite On combo drive that does the same thing though, at least I think its a Lite On :eek:hah:

11. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

hey, why does everyone rekon you need like 4gb ram to use longhorn, trust me, you dont, i have tried longhorn, and my 1gb ram suited perfectly, but it was the version with the memory leak :\

12. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

because rumor is that you'll be bombarded with services, and most of them will be needed to run the OS, the 3D grid already is said to take up a good deal more memory than what it should take in the first place.

13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I can be almost certain you can simply turn some of those features and services off and it will run well on a gig or so, after all only like 20 people today who aren't using servers have 4 gigs of memory anyway so Longhorn would be the worst selling OS ever if nobody, especially all those cheapo dell users could even run it properly. Even with memory prices on the decline and more memory becoming the norm we haven't seen any major increase in high end computers memory quantities in a long time. I remember in 2003 a really good gaming computer came with a gig or ram, now a really good gaming computer comes with...a gig or ram, two if you're really lucky but there's no need. Heck you can't even buy a 2gig single dimm yet, maybe you guys are right but if you ask me MS is pulling a pretty weak move here if it requires that much.

14. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

i bet its gonna be a gig for minimal requirements, im guessing 2 or three for optimal

15. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Good guess, but the thing is Longhorn will be a bad idea for a while. When it comes out, memory prices will be down anyway, and I won't get it right when it comes out because it will the buggiest OS in the world.

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Your PC World article said something like 512Mb's and a modern processor. That would be minimum though.

17. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Sorry it might just be that I was up until 5:00 last night but I don't really understand what you're saying.

18. Addis

Addis The King

Yea, its ludicrous to have a minimum requirement of a GB. 512 yes for graphics core and heavier interface.

19. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Was that directed at me Max? If so what I was saying is zRock's article from PC World mentioned that the recommended preliminary low end requirements may be 512Mb's or ram and a 'modern processor'.

20. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Besides a lot of those budget laptops will come with longhorn like everything else and I don't think 1gig will happen on a Dell Inspiron 3000 somehow.