Need help with new system

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Kingkobra, Jun 19, 2005.

1. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Hahaha yea good point. Stupid Dell. But yea, it was directed at you, Ex. But I think I just read it wrong because it makes sense now. Stupid being up until 5:00.

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I take it that you spent quite some time debunking the Lunar Landing thread:)

3. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, from 12 to 5... Earlier than 12 was moving my 30 hours of music from this computer to my new one on a 128 megabyte USB flash drive.

4. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

Yeah I know but notice that they had a specific beta build, the real numbers haven't been released, and some services are cut off from the beta builds

5. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

The bottom line is that, if MS has any sense, Longhorn will not require more than 512 MB or RAM. Like in XP, you will be able to turn off the enhanced desktop graphics, and be able to disable most processes. If you can run XP on 128 MB then you will be able to run Longhorn on 512.

6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

yeah I know, I bet 512 will work, but come on, without the extra pizazz its like having a more expensive XP haha

I can't wait to play around with the 3D desktop, or the opacity that comes with the windows, hope it comes with alot of custom themes though, olive green and silver are a let down for me in XP

7. Addis

Addis The King

I am real living proof that XP runs on 128mb.

8. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, but now you are changing your argument. We all know that Longhorn won't run well with 512 MB, but it would run. But as far as themes, there is a patch for your XP graphics engine that will allow you to use many many non Windows-signed themes. I will edit in the site where it is located when I find it.

9. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

If you find a site that can release me from Xp's horrible themes i will forever be grateful

as far as I've gone so far is windowblinds, the longhorn slate looks hot

10. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, it does look pretty good. I just hope it lives up to its expectations. And it better not just be XP with a better graphical interface, it better have some hint of functionality.

11. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

i heard with the search engine, and microsofts antispyware/virus that its gonna be alot better than XP, I also heard the firewall makes sense in it, not like the cruddy XP fw we all disable, but its awesome because they're said to ship it in x32 and x64 bit versions together

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Well after 5 years lets hope it's a major improvement, I'd start kicking things if they were backpedaling the whole time. I'm sure it will be a sweet os with an amazing interface, let's just hope it's spyware thing lives up to it's expectations. And I really don't want to buy it only to find out it's just like a bunch of stolen ideas from Apple's OS X Tiger, that would be pretty lame.

13. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

it'd be awesome though if it was built on a unix core, but i don't want microsoft to disease anything related to linux

14. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea it sounds a lot like that. I think I will get OS X, its a really good OS, doesn't get the credit it deserves. And also, the search tool was removed, one of the 3 supposed major improvements.

15. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

then just install the copernic desktop search. its just as powerful

+ free

Exfoliate likes this.
  16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

The search tool in Tiger or Longhorn (cats or cows, so much for MS's cool factor;)) I know Tiger is very pround of spotlight, I've seen it in action, it's amazing, it can pull up something sunken deep down in the depths from years ago within about 2 seconds. I have pather but wouldn't mind getting Tiger aswell:good:
    Yeah UNIX would be cool, beats DOS any day and UNIX found it's roots in the 70's so it's had longer to tweak itself. I think MS should throw out it's DOS roots and start from scratch with Longhorns brother down the road. No more ancient looking post screens and crappy little boot screen, let's get some real beans in the kettle.

17. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

But that defeats the purpose, the thing with it coming is that you don't need to do that.

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Sorry I'm a little slow and will need a clarification on you post Max, what defeats what purpose?;)

19. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

referring to zrock's post, the whole point of an integrated tool is not needing to go find it, download it, and install it. You just beat me to the post.

20. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Ooooh! Sorry, now I see, yeah that's happened a lot, one of us posts something and someone follows up on it but there was a post inbetween those two so it throws things off. I just downloaded it anyway:)