need new case for my dell

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by evanjanis, Oct 24, 2004.

1. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

Hey i wanted to know if anybody knew of a case that is compatible with a dell Dimensions 4600 computer. The case that it comes with is shit and will not let me expanded my drives. I have maxed the bays out and i want to find a new case for it. Also the p4 fan in it is weird and it mounts to the case and not directly on to the board.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You may have to do a lot of modifications to a Dell system in order to make them ATX compatible. Most Dells are purposely built to be proprietary, so that you cannot updgrade/modify your system without going through [paying] Dell. I don't know if it's even possible for a Dimension 4600, but I remember somebody asking me to transplant a different Dimension 4xxx model a short while ago, and it was not possible in that situation.

3. Addis

Addis The King

Adds a new meaning to "Easy as dell"! Never liked Dell because of the big logo they put on their pcs.

4. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

Yeah i looked at a new case for my dell and i had a qestion. If i look at the back of my case were all the connections are like for USB and my mouse. Can i just take that plate out with the motherboard and replace the one on the new case with it.

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Yeah, its called an I/O plate. It should be removeable.

6. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

Yeah thats what it is called. Man this is going to be a like hell to do. I might not do it. Really what i wanted to do is make my dell case look good because i got a counter strike lan coming up and i want to bring a computer that looks good. I got some real power in that box a 3.0ghz ht, 1.5GB of ram, 9800 pro 128 graphics card. Anyway do u have any ideas that i could do to my box to make it look better

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Paint it. But (at least if you're smart) you'll remove all the parts from it before painting. Krylon Fusion spray paints are made for plastics (but they'll work on metals), and from my experience, they seem to work quite well.

8. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

K thanks that sounds good i just dont want to fuck it up so what type of paint should i use for the side panle of the computer it is metal. I looked at the Krylon stuff it drys in 12 minutes can i start using the computer right away after the 12 minutes or should i let it sit longer

9. ninja fetus

You could sand all the metal parts, anodize them with a spray can. Cut out a design of your window with a dremel or rotary tool, back it with a piece of acrylic or plexi glass. There ya go!

10. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

Thanks i dont think i will go to all that but i will paint it and put the pics of it up on the site. I will be nothing compared to the mods that some of those guys have done and put the pic.s of

11. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well pretty much anything you can do to it to improve its looks will accomplish two things:

1) Defeat all of its paltry cooling solutions by cutting the chassis, or even if you add more fans you could overload the crappy PSU

and

2) void Dell's warranty

12. ninja fetus

Prepare to have your warranty voided...

13. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

Yeah i know that it would void the waranty i think of something to do to it