Networking Nightmare

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by megabytes, Jun 28, 2007.

1. megabytes

megabytes Geek Trainee

I wiil try explain the scenario.

Here goes i have been given a hub which as 25 RJ 45 sockets on it so i connected my virgin media modem to this hub and then from the hub to my pc and it worked so i then connected my second pc to the hub but i am not getting the internet on it can anybody help please.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

is the cable between the second PC & the hub faulty or the wrong type of cable, look @ this

3. Addis

Addis The King

If its a hub, then it won't have routing abilities. To share internet you'll need a router.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:doh: should have known that, i did have my router going to a hub / switch to attach my ATA (VoIP) adapter, until i over powered it by using the wrong PSU:doh:

5. megabytes

megabytes Geek Trainee

The cable i'm using is the straight through type is this the wrong cable?????

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

if i remember correctly a straight though cable will be fine between the systems (i used a straight through cable to connect my router to a system) & the hub but Addis is correct about attaching a router to 1 port of the hub, then allowing 24 systems access to the net through the hub

7. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

Straight through cables are fine. You can also setup Internet Connection Sharing your main PC. This will act as the router.

8. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

megabytes, Addis has given you the answer already. Buy a router.