Networking?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Vauxhall121, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Vauxhall121

Vauxhall121 Geek Trainee

Yes, is that gonna be a problem? Plus i am with AOL and apparently its hard to network with them? I was thinking about switching ISP.

2. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

no that's not a problem, maybe you should consider buying a switch or a router, they're very cheap. but yeah, did you run the network setup on each?

3. Vauxhall121

Vauxhall121 Geek Trainee

Yeh i have run a network setup on both and as i say it must be recognising something as it detects them in the corner and says they are connected.

4. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

yes it is recognizing it. apparently, running a crossover cable is the same as running two computers with the 'magic blue cable' with a hub (very different to a router or switch, slower) have you run the setup on main comp, then the other comp, then restarting?

5. Vauxhall121

Vauxhall121 Geek Trainee

6. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

run command prompt. type in ip config/all then press enter. you should see
    ip address
    subnet mask
    default gateway
    dns servers

the information they give you, go to my network places, go to view network connections, right click local area connection, click properties, scroll down till you see internet protocol, double click it, then select use the following ip address. Now enter the information given to you on command prompt. do this on each of your computers.

7. Vauxhall121

Vauxhall121 Geek Trainee

It doesnt come up with anything?

8. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

ipconfig/all sorry, there's no space there.

9. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

There is a space there:
    Code:
    ipconfig /all

10. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

its not necessary

11. Addis

Addis The King

Sorry to be pedantic, but command line programs should accept an argument like switches with a space. It will work with ipconfig/all but won't with ipconfig-all.

Windows command line executables generally use the switches (/) as well as hyphen for passing arguments. Its generally better practice to do "program -argument" since Linux/Unix binaries accept it in that format as well.