New Broadband...

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Matt555, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Okay our current broadband provider (BT) can't supply us a fast internet connection, we've got 512kbps (sorry for using the term 'fast' Exfoliate, that speed must seem astronimical for you *pat on back*) and our modem is old and won't work with a faster connection. I saw a deal on their site where you can get up to 2mbps but with a limit of 20GB per month. It also said yu get a free wireless router but you have to be a new customer to get that and existing customers have to pay for it. Also they said in our area we can't get 2mbps and the fastest we can get with them is 1mbps.

So now we're thinking of changing our broadband provider, any suggestions? there are a few things I am wondering about though...

We have a BT Phone line, so if we were to go with a different company could we still run the modem through the BT phoneline using a microfilter or would we need a second line (don't want to get a second line)

We also still have the NTL cable box on the front of our house as we used to be with them for internet, I've checked availability with them and we can have 2mbps broadband. I take it this means the box can still be used.

But these are just some things I've checked out, what are your suggestions, we want to spend around £25 a month (cheaper is always better) and will need a router in the future (or a router in the package would be good) but at the minute a USB modem would be fine. Sorry if I've missed anything.

2. Addis

Addis The King

Bluey? try www.blueyonder.co.uk and see if you can get the service in your area. Very good connection and frequent speed upgrades. Currently I'm paying £17.99 /mo and I'm on 512kbs, however by christmas we should be up to 2mbit as the speed upgrade. If you pay £25 for the 1Mbit service now, then you'll be upgraded to 4mbit aswell. And for £35 you get 2mbit right now, but get upgraded to 10mbit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Thanks a lot Addis, I'll check them out now, yeah I thyink the 1mbit service would be good, my mum doesnt seem to understand with the computer downstairs on the net, this one up here possible another desktop soon and possibly 2 laptops things could get a bit slow, 4mbps would be nice...i'll see if there's a way to check the availability...

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

can blueyonder broadband be used in an area that is not enabled for cable, like, so can it be used with ADSL, becouse my area doesent have cable, only got broadband on 18th august last year.

5. Addis

Addis The King

No its a cable connection, mostly in mainland UK/England.

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Cool, we still have the cable box outside our house that NTL put in, would that work?
    Also do they give you one of those USB and Ethernet Modems. We had an NTL one like that and use the USB on it. The reason I ask is because sometime in the near future we will need a router and an ethernet modem would be better than a USB one, although we could just buy a new router/modem in one box...

7. Willz

that sickens me that BT and all the other companies are not trying to get broadband available in country ares, for god sake i am only 18 miles from york, and i bet york has super fast broadband, its well annoying, me stuck on 1mb broadband and then my cousin in bradford who is going to be on the 10mb broadband soon, its so annoying.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Just checked our Postcode and it's currently not available in our area...damn! :x:

9. Willz

gahh, in london if your rich enought you can get 100mbps broadband, so why ant they enable 10mbps broadband in all the other areas, honistly, took 2 years for bt to enable 512k broadband in my area, then 5 days later 1mb, so why not 2mb and faster..

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

NTL is available in my area with 2mbps for £25 a month, included modem and a 30GB limit, since I don't do massive downloads or game online all the time this might be good, I'll have to tell my mum about it...

11. Willz

your lucky, 30gb limit would be gone in about 2 weeks with me, and i am on 1mb broadband so its going to go in 1 week with 2mbps lol, have you ever watched the NTL channel, a couple of weeks ago they was saying 1MBIT broadband lol

12. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Prices for internets are expensive for you guys. Here we've got "comcast" the service totally sucks. The router/gateway thing we're supplied with is a linksys but has a comcast firmware with a speed cap at 8mb down 2mb up right now I think. The service is $50 or so a month depending on what plan.

I don't think you guys understand how much the service sucks. We've had mischeduled times for service, workers who can't solve problems, workers who've made problems worse, workers WHO CAN NOT EVEN FIGURE OUT THE NETWORKING BUILT INTO MY HOUSE(neither can I but I'm not paid to) and workers who've never showed up!
    alright I'm done venting.

13. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Off Topic...

[OT]I thought we already figured out that all your networking junctioned in your closet into a VOIP system?[/OT]

14. Willz

UK internet is getting almost as cheap as USA, for £35 a month blue yonder is doing 10mb broadband.

15. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Like we discussed in another post, they can give you what ever Mb number they want. At the end of the day your distance from the nearset exchange will determine you max speed connection.

I joined Demon more than a year ago on their 512Mb which cost £19 (no traffic or time limit what so ever...:D ). Then a few months ago they contacted me to tell me that for the same price I will be upgrdraded to upto 2Mb. After the upgrade I only get 1.1Mb :cool: .
    I am living in adense populated area and not in a rural area. However, my location obviously will not allow my speed to go al the way up to 2Mb.

As mentioned before, pay good attention to the small print and try and get a conclusive answer from the provider before commiting!

I found this site very helpful - http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

16. Willz

yea, but BT phone company can stick in more stuff in the exchange so we can get faster broadband, the distance shouldent matter, as the phone companys like NTL and BT in the UK can easilly enable to exchange to give me 10mb broadband even though it says due to the distance 1mb broadband might need enginner to looka t as i am almost too far away from the exchange for 1mb broadband, but they could do somthing in the exchange and enable the exchange for 10mb broadband, i am only 3 miles away from the exchange.

also, do you think 22MB broadband ever be available in the countryside, such as 20miles away form a majour city?

17. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I am no fan of BT as such. Unfortunately I have to pay their line rental. All my calls go htrough a cheaper, third party. I am sure they can do something but they don't, so we have to make do.....:confused: BT will tell you that the distance does matter. Whether they are just fobbing their customer or not that is a matter for the 'watch-dogs'..... If you are really conceren that you are geting a raw deal from BT, give WatchDog a call.
    :good:

18. Willz

i am on AOL, i want to switch to UK online as they claim we can get 2mb broadband, and tis only £25 a month, and we are paying £25 a month for 1mb from AOL, my dad thinks that AOL is the best becouse its the worlds biggest, when in fact AOL is recking my computer and is slow.

UK online does 22mb broadband for £30 a month, omg thats like amazing!

19. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

You do as your papa says or he might a-slap-a-you-a-silly!!!! :mad:

Get your dad to have a look at the link I posted before.
    The compare (I think) sector is entirely compiled from customer feedback!

Also, see the headline on the main page regarding UkOnline:

20. Willz

ah, its only £80, worth it if your going to get 22mb broadband for £30