New Build help? constructive advice plz

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by taemonica, Oct 15, 2013.

1. taemonica

taemonica Geek Trainee

Hello all, I'm seeking for help in building my new system..I'll try to keep this short

and simple. Basically i'm a web designer / multimedia guy and does play games but not

that much like LOl or Hon etc only. I'm not really good in building systems but one

thing is for sure i know my what i will use it for , hope you guys could help me =(

My Goal with this build: ( No.1 being the highest concern or goal)

1. To be able to multitask heavy programs. For this part, i want it to be able to handle

adobe photoshop , illustrator, and dreamweaver along with 20 tabs of chrome or even

more, sometimes additional random program or a game opened, so it's like a total of 5

heavy programs. i hope you get the idea. i was hoping that I would to be able to switch

smoothly from one program to another.

2. Fast response from switching pc on to opening programs or loading games

3. Future proof? ( i know this is impossible and have read a lot about this concept, but

what i mean is hopefully the build would still be able handle future programs or

compete with other systems 3-4 yrs from now or even more lol. i'm just expecting it to

run future programs smoothly and without the need to upgrade again and again. hope you

guys get it.)

4. To be able to handle smoothly large canvas like for example, 30x30 with 300

resolution for graphic design or those things.

5. not really familiar what todays and upcoming technology offers , i just read them

things like PCI-e 3.0 , sata 3, usb 3, 2011 architecture of intel etc..

Budget: $1000 - $1300

-i know this is low as to what i expect or my goals but my main concern really is the

processor , storage and memory.

What i already have or what i can use in the meantime to fit my budget

1. Geforce GTX 550 TI (i know one of my concern is photoshop high res canvas but il just

work with this in the meantime to fit my budget)

2. 500gb Storage (forgot the brand)

3. Gigabit PCI network adapter

4. Q6600 - lol this is really old, but this is what i mean about futureproof thing, this

thing can still run programs in today's software.

My Build?

Processor - if going with amd, Amd 8350 OC to 4.5 to 4.8ghz.
    - if going intel , i7-3930k, this is what i really want as this seems to

promise also the future proof thing.

Mobo - If Amd - asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 (have read that it's the best for OC'ing amd

- If Intel , ( i dont know yet)

Ram - 16gb 1600 - 1833 mhz (no specific brand yet)

Storage - 1x SSD 125gb and 1x 1TB 7200 rpm

Graphics Card - for this part, Since my budget is low , if possible i'll just use my

geforce 550 ti and just upgrade later on.

Power supply - 750 watts

Cooler - Corsair h80 or h100

Case - ? i dont know yet

Sound card - i dont plan to get any and just use the onboard.

Optical Drive - anything cheap

I hope you get my situation. what i really dont understand is the processor part. if to

go with i7-3930 and squeeze other parts in my budget, or to go AMD 8350 which will allow

another video card like Sapphire 7950 DDR 5 3gb . But for the AMD part, im not really

sure if it can compete in the future. iv been reading a lot and just want suggestions

especially constructive comments.. that's all and i really do appreciate everyone's time

in reading my thread. A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL.

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Processor: I don't consider future proof any processor that has under 8 cores. Also for heavy multitasking AMD is better choice. 8 cores helps while Intel only has 6 and responsivity is much better on AMD systems (you cannot benchmark that). As for price, 3930K costs at least twice vs FX-8350 so another reason not to waste money on that. I suggest investing more on storage. You won't notice processor differences easilly but will notice improvements on storage.

MB: asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 OK

RAM: 16gb (2*8 GB) 1600 - 1833 mhz OK

Storage: 120 GB SSD is OK, also consider at least two (or even more) 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD's. RAID or not, that helps a lot.

Graphics: 550Ti OK, I suggest you spare money and spend later if you need better graphics.

Power: 650W is more than enough even when overclocking unless you plan to put 2 graphics cards.

Case: No spesifics needed here. Any case that holds parts and cooling is OK.

Sound card: Onboard

Optical: Basic DVD burner SATA