new collector

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Anime and Manga' started by littlesaj, Aug 16, 2004.

1. littlesaj

littlesaj Geek Trainee

i have just started watching manga movies....i have just seen the 6 part series crying freeman....it was awesome....i would like to see manga movies that are similar to this...i have seen ninja scroll as well....any ideas of manga movies i can add to my collection?....

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hmm, There are a lot of good animations out there, and unfortunately even more poor ones. I think you might enjoy Cowboy Bebop, NTHT (Now and Then, Here and There), Record of Lodoss War, Rorouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, Trigun, and Escaflowne, for starters. Also, it's worth noting that I watch all anime in the original Japanese dialog with English subtitles, as I vastly prefer the Japanese voice acting. So as a result, I cannot vouch for how good the spoken dialog would be in the US/English overdub versions of any of the anime I've recommended. I'm sure Big B will have dozens of suggestions for you as well. :)

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm not as familiar with samurai-based titles. I've really only watched Samurai Deeper Kyo, but I stopped getting it with the english dub being so ungodly horrible. It's an okay series, and a hack-job of the english doesn't do it any favors.

Some of my personal favorites are:

Hellsing (vampires and guns)
    Full Metal Panic! (mecha/comedy/fanservice)
    GundamSEED (mecha, drama) ---probably the best Gundam series in awhile, but Bandai's dub on this one is unusually crappy, so definitely watch this in Japanese audio.
    Martian Successor Nadesico (mecha/comedy/fanservice) ---one of the funniest series ever. It really skewers it's own genre.
    Excel Saga (comedy) ---probably the most insane series ever.
    RahXephon (mecha/sci-fi) ---a teen finds out he has the ability to control a huge mech and ends up almost in a god-like status. Probably my favorite series.
    Noir (drama/action) ---2 female assassins join forces to discover their past

Except for GundamSEED, you can find everything on DVD right now. GundamSEED has just started to come out on DVD, so if you want to watch it, you'll have to find it and download it as the links we have up won't have them since GS is liscenced now (and has been for at least half a year)

4. Anti-Trend

Another vote for Excel Saga, that's freakin' hilarious. :D

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

6. littlesaj

littlesaj Geek Trainee

comedy

im into comedy a lot more than sci fi, im gonna get excel saga, how many episodes are they?...what about outlaw star....how many episodes are they in that one?....tell me some that are just movies and not series because i would like some of those as well....romantic are ok but not scary like devil man as i think that is just weird....

7. Anti-Trend

Most anime series are 26 episodes per season, but that does vary.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Typically, any gundam series is going to be fairly long (~50 eps), but generally, they run 26 eps.

For the most part, a movie tends to suck, IMO. The only ones I've liked have been Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, and Jin-Roh. The most worthless are the Neon Genesis Evanglion ones. They add nothing to the series and are rumored to be the creators revenge on fans for complaining about the series ending. They also could've been made into one single movie.

I would look at Martian Successor Nadesico, since that also skewers it's own genre, but isn't quite as insane as Excel Saga.

9. Anti-Trend

B's right, most movies do suck. As a matter of fact, I wasn't very impressed with the Cowboy bebop movie, personally. But I think you may enjoy any animation from Miyazaki, as he's been making quality animation since the '80s.