New CPU Fan

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by beretta9m2f, May 25, 2004.

1. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

Hey all, I was wondering what would be a very good fan/heatsink combo for a Pentium 4 @ 3.0 ghz (stock) my system overheats a bit b/c i don't have a very large case and i would like to get in as much airflow as possible. If you have any other fan reccomendations plz let me know. ty :good:

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

From what you're saying, your problem seems to be more one of chassis ventilation than of CPU dissipation. My advice to you is to get a better chassis, and then deal with the CPU 'sync if it's necessary at that point. I don't know where in the world you are, but if you're in the US check out Newegg.com's selection of ATX Chassis. For instance, this one (US $26).

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Agreed. The stock P4 cooler is actually pretty good, and unless you want to make a jump to watercooling or some type of refridgeration, you're not going to get something much better with aircooling.

4. beretta9m2f

My chasis is actually pretty good for airflow, i guess i just need better ventilation. my cpu temp is in the 35C-55C range. My Chasis is the raidmax scorpio (mid tower) The reason i'm asking about all this cooling is because when i play games my CPU sounds like its taking most of the load instead of the gfx card. (msi geforce fx5950) and the gfx temp is about 55C when i play games.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Those temps are fine. 55 C under load is not a problem, especially since summer is coming up.

6. Anti-Trend

55C is not too bad at all. If you would like to cool it a few more degrees, you might replace your fans with higher-RPM ones. Thermaltake has some very high-RPM "smart" fans, and Delta fans are so fast they can take your friggin' fingers off. :D

7. beretta9m2f

delta you say? how much do these little gadgets cost? (US$) i wouldn't mind lowering my temps by a coupla degrees if it was under 50 bucks.

8. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-013&depa=0
    stick a couple of those on and you'll get EXCELLENT! airflow and at only $7 they are well worth the money.
    Thermaltake Smart fan
    ^thats the smart fan anti trend was talking about. $6 but not as much airflow at the top end. but who cares! it adjusts itself! how cool is that?!

and if your concerned about noise like an old lady-

Vantec Stealth

$8 and they are nearly in audible to me. i have 4 of them in my case and the only fan i hear is my power supply fan! But sacrificing noise is also cutting down on its rpms and massively cutting down its airflow. i wouldnt recommend them in your case. i would go for the delta just because i like speed.
    (my apologies im trying to get the link thinger down.)

Anti-Trend likes this.
  9. beretta9m2f

Thanx a million Fetus,and everyone else, i'm gonna order the smart fan. :good:

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Keep in mind that the fan won't fit on the stock P4 cooler naturally. However, they are better than the Delta's, primarily because the Delta's are known to be extremely loud---so much, they've been referred to as jet engines. ;)

11. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I have a smartfan and yes, it moves a lot of air. Of course, it's a bit loud.

I also have some vantec stealth fans and although they are very quiet, they are no better than the panflos H1As which move more air and aren't loud either. They're a bit more expensive but they're worth it.

12. Anti-Trend

I don't think he meant on his CPU, but an 80mm Delta fan on a CPU would be pretty sweet. Also, there are some very inexpensive Thermaltake HSF's that utilize the high-RPM smart fan. Just FYI ;)

13. beretta9m2f

Actually i did mean Cpu fan, crap i thought these were all for cpus. anyone know what i could get for the Cpu? Its a good thing i haven't ordered anything yet! :good:

14. Anti-Trend

A fan is a fan is a fan. You can use it on your CPU or in your chassis, it just has to fit. Like I said though, you can get a Thermaltake Volcano-series HSF which utilizes an 80mm fan.

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What heatsink are you using? If it's the stock cooler, it uses a custom 70mm fan. The discussions been about universal 80mm fans.

16. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I have a combination of an SLK-800A (Thermalright) w/ a Thermaltake SmartFan II and I have no complaints whatsoever.
    Wipe that core with some Arctic Silver / Céramique and you're good to go.

I've used a Volcano 11 before and the SLK-800A is way better. I can make the direct comparison because I'm using the SLK with the Volcano 11 fan (SmartFan II) on the same cpu at the same speed.

Of course, that thing will cost you around $40 CAD. This is for the heatsink only.

17. beretta9m2f

yup yup, i'm using the stock heat sink(p4 3.0ghz). so that means its 70mm. So presumably i can use any 70mm fan, correct? If thats all then i should just find a fan from thermaltake or delta but in the 70mm size. or will it be harder b/c its a "custom" 70mm? :confused:

18. Anti-Trend

I've used 80mm fans with 60 & 70mm HSFs before, and it's worked quite well. I just used sturdy cable ties ("zip" ties) through both sets of screw holes instead of the usual screws. It doens't look too bad, especially if you use black cable ties. Either way, the whole point is to put a lot of air across the heatsync, right?

19. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

This is what the stock P4 heatsink looks like. While 70mm is the odd man out, you can find them. The problem is that the stock P4 fan is more or less a custom job, and without buying a new heatsink to accomodate an 80mm fan (or larger), you're SOL. The P4 fan and it's shroud are designed to work with the P4 rention bracket on the motherboard, and if you replaced the stock fan, you'd have issues holding it down.

Now, this kit from Zalman might be a more appealing solution. Otherwise, I'd say to look at some Thermalright heatsinks instead.

20. beretta9m2f

Thanx alot big b, i think i'm gonna go with that kit you mentioned. you've all been a great help. The kit is cheap and it's a good investment. Shouldn't be too hard to install. :good: