New Linux Install

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by max12590, Dec 19, 2007.

1. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Ok, and am I correct in saying that Fedora is a repackaged Red Hat distro more for the home? If so, would you recommend it over CentOS for home use (things like multimedia are obviously important to me, hence the Amarok complaints).

2. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Ok, so right now I'm posting from Mint. I really like it, even if it is just repackaged ubuntu. It installed with support for NTFS and SAMBA. I also like the automatic installation of Compiz when you enable the "Extra Graphics" or whatever. I still can't get dual monitors to work, but my theory is that it doesn't work because both my monitors are old CRTs and are different models. Fortunately, that will change at Christmas as I am getting 2 new widescreen 19" LCDs (if that isn't sexy I don't know what is). Anyways, I'm glad I stuck with it at least long enough to realize that there are Linux distros out there that really do kick ass, even if I don't really know how to use it yet.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try Yoper i liked it when i ran it as a VM
    don't worry, i've being using Kubuntu on my only home machine for over 2 years, & i still haven't scratched the surface of Linux

BTW: i could blame my brain damage, but, i think i'm just thick

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Haha, well, I would just like to add that my HP workgroup printer was about 10x easier and 10x faster to install on here than it was on Windows.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well, that makes me feel better, cos i'm a noob with networking

except a little peer to peer about 10 years ago with 2 Windoze boxes

6. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Well, all I had to do for the printer was tell it the IP (print a test page) and tell it the make/model of printer. Oh yea and it was all wizard driven.

7. PhoenixFire

PhoenixFire Geek Trainee

First, I would like to comment on what you said Fred. I highly doubt "your girlfriend", that being myself, having no influence from you on installing linux on her computer, due to the fact you are such a vivid user of Linux.
    "You" were a huge influence for me ending up installing Linux on my computer. There wasn't a day were you didn't bug me until I had you install ubuntu. However, I do thank you for that, even if it can be difficult to use at times.

However, I much rather have a free, stable and secure OS than a Virus aka. Windows. Heck, if I need Windows that bad, I just run a program called VMware, which allows me to have a Virtual Machine, such as Windows, Mac or etc. Honestly, Windows is just a pretty & slow OS these days. That's all. Its insecure and can end up screwing you in the future, because guaranteed, something will go wrong one day. Most people that was closed minded MS users will tell you linux doesn't have programs to replace Windows programs or features, but that is bs. For example, MS Office+OpenOffice.org & WMP=Amarok (or one of the many music players avaiable) & Vista decor=compiz. Also, if you want to run windows games, you can try running Cedega or Wine to play a lot of games that are currently released and being released. I want to make it clear though, I don't hate Windows, I just dislike it....a lot.

Now for my main point. I know I am really late on this converstation, but I would like to say I am a big fan of Ubuntu. I haven't update to 7.10 though, because of the fact I don't see a need, and I don't want to mess up my compiz fusion since it took me a while to get it to run properly. My recommendation for new users though for ever needing command lines and etc. Search google. Seriously, you can find almost everything on the internet and its a good way to get familar with linux by yourself by getting hands on experience. That's how I got my Compiz to work properly after many uninstalls, messing around with stuff, and reinstalls. I have learned a lot so far, but I know I still don't even know 1% of linux (distros, installing stuff, and etc).

One more thing, I also recommend SongBird as a music player. My cousin has been using it, and he says he hasn't been having any problems so far, and he has a mass music collection.

Oh yeah. This was one of my first posts on here. So Im sorry I went on so many tangents (I just wanted to mention using google as a source for help and I ended up with what I wrote. oops) and gave my almost useless opinion on linux. I got excited. :rolleyes:

8. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, I'm using Songbird right now and I really love it. The only thing is that it seems to have some sort of compatibility issue with multiple desktops/compiz (Once I have it open in a desktop I can't move it). This may be isolated to Mint, but it isn't aproblem for me, as I open it and Pidgin in one desktop and work on the others.

9. Fred

Fred Moderator

Funny you mention that because PheonixFire's computer had the exact same problem, hence the reason she ended out reinstalling compiz-fusion in the first place. I think it may have something to do with ubuntu, and mint is based on ubuntu. I dont know if you've tried this, but right click on the desktop pager (the thing that shows all of your desktops) and make sure there are actually four in it. On one Gnome machine, I had to change it to be something like 4 columns, one row and it started working. Secondly, you may want to go into Synaptic and look up [and download] the compiz-fusion settings. I dont know the exact name, but with that program you can change settings in compiz like adding the cube and doing fire and water effects. looking at the settings on cube while its enabled may help you understand while its not working. BTW, typically with compiz fusion, to change desktops you can press something like shift + directional arrow and it shifts desktops to one over. Maybe someone that uses compiz more often can help you out with it though since I've never even used it on one of my own computers.
    <br>
    <br>
    [ot]
    Fine, I've been corrected. But to be fair, I honestly didn't remember being that pushy. I must have a horrible memory. Still, I declare a victory on my part, because either way I managed to get you to install linux [/ot]

10. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I think this is more of a direct ubuntu/mint-songbird incompatibility. I have no problem with other applications, but as I said, it is fine with me, as I just leave songbird open on the main desktop.

11. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Ok, so it took a reinstall with both of my new monitors connected, but TwinView is working flawlessly now. I am running Mint and I have to say, I really love it. I never got around to even running the live CD of Fedora or SUSE, but I am happy with what I have, and I don't see myself changing to one of them, even if they are equally suitable. Even though it is just a repackage of Ubuntu, and even if it is Gnome, I like it. Besides, Mint has a KDE version in beta, and I may switch to it once I am more comfortable with Linux and they have worked out all the kinks. Thanks for your help, it was worth the effort.

BTW: Over Christmas, after having a long discussion on open source and showing him Compiz, I got my cousin to try Mint. I think he'll be happy he did.