new logo

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Waffle, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Addis

Addis The King

Oh yea I just noticed that. Oh well.

2. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

Hi 01bolandn,

I don't think AT was disagreeing with me...I think he was just taking the opportunity to do a little much needed Microsoft bashing ;)

It does have the basic features and impression of a swastika...and that was the first thing I noticed about it...but that's neither here nor there because no one is going to assume that any connection was intended...it's a computer forum not a neo-nazis site.

But that was just an observation...there are other reasons I don't like the logo that to me are more compelling...as I said it's too minimalistic and doesn't suit the thick dark lines of the headers...a logo is supposed to stand out without being over-bearing...it's the focal point of first impressions...this design looks like it wants to hide in the background...and doesn't provide any value to the site.

If you guys like it the way it is...then you should keep it...I'm just saying that I don't like it and I don't see it as being a beneficial addition to the site.

But that's just my opinion.

Eg ;)

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, I do see the resemblance to a swazzi, but I never would have thought that until you mentioned it. I think it's just because of the proportions being so symmetrical. The Microsoft bashing was just a bonus. :good:

4. Fred

Fred Moderator

Wait a second... It's not?!! Why did I join up then? :mad:

:p

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Well I'd like to add my opinion but I don't remember what the semi-swastika-looking logo actually looked like as I haven't been on all day untill now and I guess it's been altered to it's seperate letter state. I still think it looks cool, just not as inspired.

6. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

all this over a logo :) hehe

the change to logo wasn't made because of what has been said, I had planned to test out different versions, e.g. not having the "HF" part, or adding some shadow to the icons etc

I like the logo, I really don't mind what people think. The logo Anti-Trend did was good, I would have kept it, if we didn't change the design.

7. Egaladeist

It looks better separated...I no longer feel the need to salute and yell Sieg Heil when I see it :D I might suggest changing the color to match the grey/blue looking headers...the color right now doesn't fit with anything else on the forum...

like I said...it doesn't matter...these are only suggestions.

Eg ;)

8. Fred

Fred Moderator

Picky picky picky! ;)

9. Egaladeist

Fred...I'm not being picky...I'm just stating my opinion. I assume Sniper wants a logo that looks good and which can benefit the site...to you it's just a logo...but it's usually the difference between someone checking you out or passing you by...packaging is 80% of sales...if I put two boxes of cereal on the shelf and one was just a white box that said cereal and the other was a box of Captain Crunch which would you buy?
    How you present is what catches a person's eye and forums are no different...I've checked out a few and the most popular reason people say they joined was they liked the way the site looked...there's no lack of forums to ask questions...they came...they looked...they liked...then they posted.
    Forums work because of advertising dollars...to make the big bucks you have to draw people to your forum and then try to get them to stay and come back often...without advertising this forum would fold up and die...therefore, it's not what appeals to you and me but what appeals to the larger audience...you think this site is free...it's not...someone has to pay for it.

And even though I'm not up to date on computers...I do know a little something about what looks good...after all I did do this for 20 years...longer than some of you have been alive. ;)

10. Fred

Fred Moderator

--------> ;) <------------ *cough cough* it was a joke :D

11. Egaladeist

I don't know you well enough to assume that now do I...I assumed the smiley was to let me know you weren't being a smartass...that it was kinda tongue in cheek...which is why I put a smiley at the end of what I said. ;)

12. matttibb

matttibb Geek Trainee

Wow this is great... 3 pages about the new logo :D

13. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Sorry Egaladeist i wasnt diagreeing with you either I was just saying I dont see the swastika.

14. Egaladeist

No problem 01bolandn...didn't think you were being critical at all. :good:

You guys probably didn't notice because you're young...so you haven't been exposed to it alot like us older folks who grew up with it ( eg. John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, etc...when I was a kid there was a war flick on practically every couple days )...not to mention our folks were in that war...my Dad was a Master Sargent during the war.

All the same, as I said, twice already, I've just been stating my opinion, you guys don't have to agree with it. ;)

15. matttibb

matttibb Geek Trainee

It doesn't remind me of a swazzi at all now but I must admit whenever I saw it before a gap was added, it did. Not like it matters anyway but it's changed now and looking good :good:

16. Egaladeist

Amazing what a little change can do...now if you adjust the color to either match the blue/grey or darker you'll really see what another little change can do. :good: