New Phone... But which one?

Discussion in 'Tablets, Phones and Music Players' started by thomas234, Jul 24, 2006.

1. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

I'm looking at new phones, as my current Motorola V500 has a broken ariel, and it falls off every time I take it out of my pocket :( .

I would like a phone that has the following:

1.Bluetooth
    2.Infra-Red
    3.Memory Card reader (no type imparticular)

I would like to spend £40 - £80, but no more than £100. I've been looking at the Nokia 6230i off eBay, as you can get it for about £50 - £85, and it seems to have everything I want. I'm not bothered about network, as long as it's Pay as you Go.

Does anyone have any experience with the 6230i, or have another phone in my price range that matches my needs?

Thanks, Thomas

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

[link=http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_contract_details.asp?ItemKey=151833&MPItemKey=152137]Sony Erricson K800i(45Pounds/m)[/link] or [link=http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-pd-ProductDisplay?PN=NETWORKS.2006.JULY.PAYMONTHLY.O2.NOKN91&origin=SPECIALOFFER&tabname=HO&slot=2]Nokia N91(12 month contract - Handset £49.99 only)[/link]
    I dont know much about UK mobile shops but I searched on the net and come across these two great offers. Both of them are mind blowing and will definately be satifying your every need.

3. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Thanks for the suggestions, but I would like Pay As You Go (aka not a contract), as there is no way I can afford a contract.

Thanks Anyway!

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Personally, I would go with some kind of Sony Ericsson Walkman phone. If you can't afford a new one, I am sure you'll find them cheaper, second hand on eBay.

I've got the w800i and I love it to bits. It's got Bluetooth, Infrared, Memory card reader (up to 2GB I think, using Pro Duo) and 2.0 Megapixal camera.

And as for the walkman side, it sounds really good - much better then you'd expect from a phone

5. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Thanks for the idea. I've had a look on eBay and I might just be able to afford one. The specs do look very nice.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's one I'm looking at too. Second choice is the Samsung SGH-D807

7. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

How about the SE k750i?

8. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Yeah, I looked at a review of the K800i and it said it's just an enhanced Walkman version of the k750i / d750i, so I've been looking at them aswell. I'm not really bothered about a Walkman phone, as they seem expensive just beacuse they say Walkman on. I'd rather pay £85 for a second hand k750i that £100, than for a second hand W800i.

Also, I've heard SE phones with joysticks can be quite annoying (they don't work properly), my brother has a k700i and his is just starting to get bad. Does anyone else have this problem, and can it easily be fixed?

9. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

The Walkman phones are very similar to the Ericsson phones on which they are based. The only real difference besides a fresh lick of paint are the dedicated 'Walkman buttons' located down the sides of the phone. They operate the Play/Pause, Skip Track and volume controls so you don't have to go into the phone.

Unless you want to use your phone as an mp3 player, I see no reason why you shouldn't just buy a standard Ericsson.

My W800i has a small joystick and I quite like it. I've only had my phone for a few months so I am not in a position to tell you how long they last before they start going funny. Although they do look quite fragile, I will say that.

10. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Ive has about 4 SE phonse and had no problem with the joystick had each for about a year...Infact I love it..I gues its each to their own

Go SE!!

11. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

I had an SE T610, joystick was fine on that, my only gripe was that the software was slowww...i'd always be like 3 moves ahead of what was onscreen, so sometime's i'd end up calling the wrong person or doing some command that was next to the command i actually wanted. Joystick lasted, screen did not, dead pixels after about a year. Its strange to see 'em on a mobile phone. oh well.

12. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

I'm still leaning towards the Nokia 6230i for a few of reasons.

1.I know I said I wasn't bothered about the type of memory card, but the 6230i takes MMC. This would mean I could use the same mmc card for my phone, digital camera and also my mp3 player.

2.I read that in a recent survey, people said that the least reliable phone manufacturers were Sony Erricsson and Motorola, and the most reliable was Nokia. I still have a 3410 in good condition fully working, and thats the only phone I've still got that still works (the rest weren't nokias).

3.I've had trouble with joysticks on my previous phone (Philips 355), and I've had a mess around on my brothers K700i, and his is getting sticky, therefore making it hard to use.

4.Doesn't look as good as the k750i or the w800i, so it's less likely to get nicked at school. I've never known anyone have their phone nicked, but I'm no taking the risk.

5.My Dad already has a 6230i, he says his is good, and he has had no problems with it.

If anybody sees anything wrong with the phone, or has a reason why I should really go for a SE over a Nokia, please let me know!! Thanks for all the input I've had from you all!

Thomas

13. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Ok, been on holiday and found a Nokia 6680 half price (£190 down to £95), and bought it! Better than 6230i.

Thanks, Thomas

14. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

Ive been round the houses with different makes of phones, currently running the sony eriksson w800i. Personally id never have a sony eric phone again due to poor lighting of the phone when its sunny and the huge annoyance of dust getting behind the screen (why oh why they don't make it a sealed unit i will never know). Then there is the nokia. I absolutely loved my last phone the nokia 6260 but had more software crashes than i can remember. i would probably go for the samsung d500/d600 if i were wanting a Pay as you go. Nothing flash but reliable and some nice features.

there are loads of phones out there depends what your using it for.
    there's always blackberry.

Kev