New PSU needed???

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by kr4zi, Sep 27, 2003.

1. kr4zi

kr4zi Geek Trainee

Ok heres the deal, when i play any games such as wc3 or dod or d2 i get a drop of fps down to 4 and it lasts for about 10 seconds...this occurs about once every 2 minutes or so...so i decided to find out the problem, so far ive replaced the gpu, upgraded the memory and replaced the case fan. and still no luck, now what ive been thinking is that mabye my power supply isnt supplying enough voltage for my computer to function correctly and is struggling to distrubute the power...here are my system specs:

Windows XP
    512 MB of Ram
    Geforce fx 5200 Ultra
    1800 mhz Pentium 4
    20.0 GB hard drive.
    250 W Power supply.

Now im hoping thats the problem becuase i really want to get this fixed, i have tried EVERYTHING!!! Checked for spyware, viruses, upgraded stuff, have the latest drivers and everything. Does anyone know if this is the problem or possibly a different one? I never had this problem until i added the geforce fx and it seems to be completely functional along with every other piece in my computer. Any help at all would be greatly appriciated, and i would like to know if a new more powerful PSU because im really running low on money and patience.

-kr4zi

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't know what card you had in their before, but the FX is a bit power hungry, and I'm surprised you got along with that 250W without a real problem. Anymore, 300W is considered minimum, but most people, including myself, will suggest getting something at least 350W or better. You probably had a pretty solid 250W for it to last like it has for you, but it's time to retire it before you decide to upgrade to anything faster.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Yep, I also think your psu is the problem. Grab a nice Antec and you won't be disappointed.

4. kr4zi

kr4zi Geek Trainee

Ok, I think im gonna buy an antec 350W at best buy tommorow, now i think i also need a case fan because it makes a really loud buzzing sound all the time and gets pretty annoying, anyone know of a good case fan?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you want quiet, I've heard that Panaflo's are good, as well as the Vantec Stealth. The ones I usually use are Antec if I go for a name, but I'm not really picky on my case fans. I try not to spend more than 10 bucks on a plain 80mm fan, but that's just me.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Yeah the Vantec stealth are quiet and push a good amount of air.

However, the antec ones push a little more air but are louder.

Which compromise you make is up to you.

I have 3 antec fans and two vantec stealth in my case and it's pretty loud. I really can't sleep with the computer turned on at night.

Those vantec fans are more expensive though.