New Rig Help

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by NateB, Mar 14, 2009.

1. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Ive been working on this setup

CPU: Intel P4 3.0 SL8JZ, Prescott
    BIOSTAR P4M900M4 478 VIA P4M900 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    ASUS GeForce 8400GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    A-DATA V-series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667
    Sunbeam - 580W PSU +3.3V@30A +5V@36A +12V@25A

I think from trying a nother PSU before that i burned out the mobo, when i plug it in the only one LAN light lights up (the green one) and it does not work when i get into windows but i notice my other computer they both light up with the power on

Also i cannot get the video card to work, when i plug it in and try to turn it on i can hear a noise from the PSU, does that mean my board or gpu is fryed or could it be the PSU doest have the power?

Also when in bios and i look at the volts the +12V is only around 11amps, is that right or should it be more around the 25 that the psu says? this is with out the car in, and using the board gpu​

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi, have you got your LAN drivers installed?
    And for you graphics card not working, sounds like your PSU doesn't have the required power.

3. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Hey, thanks for replying,

yeah i tryed installing them but it would stop and just sit there. and when i installed windows and had the LAN on in bios it would sit at the config network part. and once i got past that and into windows and turned the lan on it would show it as not working with limited or no connection.

Hmm ok well im probly going to go buy a 400w +12V@18A, and i think he said there are two. Do you think that pus would run the gpu?

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hi, I think you should update your bios, this might fix your LAN problems.

400W PSU will be insufficent, I would go for 500W.

On your system specs you state you have a " Sunbeam 580W PSU " that should power your entire system inc Graphics Card, so I would say your power supply unit is faulty. did you buy the psu new?

BTW: go to device manager and go to Network adapters and check the drivers are installed and make sure it says "this device is working properly"

5. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Yeah i flashed my bios to the latest. Nothing changed still doest connect. I also have checked my drivers it says its using some but it still doest connect when i try and repair the connection. It also said they where working but it still gives me limited or no connection

Yeah its a brand new psu, i know its a cheap one like 20$, but it says it should be 25Amps on the +12V rail. Do you think a 450W with dual 12V@18A would be better? ive read mixed thoughts on the dual stuff one that you can add the amps of both and you get around what one rail can pull. And one that it will only pull 20amps max can anyone confrim or explain that for me?

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

I would take the PSU back to the shop and get it replaced doesnt matter if its a cheap one or not 580w will defo power that system inc graphics card. Then when you get a new one see if it powers your graphics card, if it doesnt you can rule power supply out, its either a problem with your graphics card or motherboard, im leaning more towards motherboard problem.

7. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

I see ok, i was so sure the psu would work because its a 25A on the 12V rail. But ill see what i can do.

I need to make a good choice because i wont have the money for a better new psu or gpu untill next month. Im thinking its the motherboard also because of the lan problems, i cant seem to get them fixed so ive already ordered a new mobo

So do you think it would be safe to test the new mobo with this 580W psu with the gpu to see if it boots? that way i can rule out the motherboard, and see if the gpu is the problem, i know ill still have the possibilty of it being the gpu or psu

8. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

yea try testing the psu on the new motherboard see if it boots. and if your graphics card still doesnt work, and your psu still makes noises i would of thought its a faulty psu.

9. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Ok, ill do that, i really dont want to spend the money on a new psu just to have it be the gpu, that way i can buy what i need with the money thats left over for the build

10. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

yea i understand it is a hard one between the gpu and psu. hope you get there in the end dude. good luck

11. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

yeah me to thanks for all your help in setting me the right way, i think i have a good idea what i should do for the best outcome

12. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

Things to think about...in relation to the negative effects of heat on the computer...That can be caused by the power supply.

Manufacturers test their PSU's at a set temperature...from this their rating is determined... for most this No. is 25 degrees Celsius...which falls short of the temperature that most computers are capable of achieving.

Given that a PSU will actually lose 2-5 watts per one degree of heat above the 25 Degree Celsius testing temperature...coupled with the fact that computers tend to run at 10 degrees higher than room temperature... In the summer time when the room temperature can easily reach 80 degrees F... your computer will be running at 33 Degrees C. or 90 Degrees F.

So the...math can make...your 500 watt power supply into a 460 watt unit.

In addition to this...what needs to be taken into account is that each degree that your computer components are operating at...under powered...adds more heat to the equation.

Consider also...the possibility...that ratings given by the manufacturer of single components...such as graphics cards...need to be treated with skepticism...Manufacturers may minimize support issues and under rate the power required...in order to make a larger profit.

The above has not taken into account...the issue of high quality vs poor quality units...Power supplies convert voltages from wall outlets to lower levels used by the PC. During this conversion, some power is lost as heat. The efficiency level of the PSU determines how much extra power must be put into the power supply to run the PC. A high quality PSU can help reduce the noise and heat generated within a computer system. The higher the efficiency rating the less heat the PSU has to deal with.

Therefore heat is the computers enemy...The hotter the temperature your PSU is forced to run at...the poorer the supply of power the rest of the components will receive...which has been known to lead to such things as crashes, freezing, rebooting, BSOD’s, and video distortion, as well as partial and complete failure of other components.

The fact is very few PSU’s are capable of producing the wattage that the companies advertise.

For a very good comprehension of recommended brand names, wattage, and models in listed categories...Plus much more...check out this link. Power Supply Information and Selection - Tech Support Forum

13. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Hmm wow thats i never knew all that, thats good to know.

Well i just noticed another problem, idk if it just started or has been happening. But my south bridge is getting very hot to the touch and when i check it with speed fan its around 120C. So im guessing thats a problem im having, so i think today ill go buy a higher quality PSU

14. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

is the southbridge getting hot on the motherboard with the LAN problem? VIA chipset?

15. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Yeah, its the same motherboard with the LAN problems

16. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

there you go then, gotta be a faulty board. because the LAN Controller is on the southbridge chipset and thats running so hot 120C is crazy,the heat must of caused some kind of malfunction on the Lan controller. It's the southbridge heatsink is what you wanan change but that's to late now, its already gone faulty.

17. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Yeah i also took off the north bridge heatsink and touched it it burned me faster then the southbridge so yeah that must be my problem.

On the NB that little gold strip that goes to the edge of the chip has a little dark tint close to the chip so it looks a like its burnt

18. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

BTW: what new motherboard did you order?

19. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

The same one, a new biostar P4M900-M4.

Its like the only choice i have because they dont have any others for a P4 setup on newegg

20. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

I would keep an eye on the North & Southbridge temps when you get it running, if its getting to hot your gonna have to replace the heatsinks, otherwise you will just face problems again.