New Rig Help

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by NateB, Mar 14, 2009.

1. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Yeah the guys on to boards fourms told me that the SB can get kinda hot so to watch out for that one, so ill haft to do what i can to keep them cool untill i can order a few fans

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

yea you can get chipset fans see if you can get hold of a couple of them, place em on top of the north & southbridge heatsinks, plug em into fan headers on your board, if you dont have any spare you will have to go molex to fan connectors. I would try getting chipset fans first because your already know the north & southbridge run hot so take precautions and install chipset fans b4 running your new system, if your chipsets still run pretty hot, replace heatsinks and put fans ontop for extra cooling.

3. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Ok will do, the SB doest have the holes for a fan, what type of fan would i get for that one? or is there something i can buy to stick the heatsink to the chip with out causing damage to it?

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

you can get some fans that stick on but half the time they just end up falling off. I would just replace that southbrige heatsink completely with this badboy Zalman ZM-NB47J. I had this heatsink its supposed to be for north bridge but i just used it on southbridge gotta say it was really good. Zalman ZM-NB47J Passive Northbridge Heatsink - FrostyTech.com
    but watchout it might get in the way of your graphics card?? check the dimensions and if its too big your gonna just have to go for a regular southbridge heatsink. somethin like this Akasa AK-VCX-01 Chipset Cooling Kit - AK-VCX-01

5. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Ok cool yeah i was looking at that one on newegg, got the most reviews sees to be around the best. It souldent get in the way of my GPU if i use it on my SB. Yeah thats what i was afrade of i hear its hard to get them to stick and if your computers upright they just slide right off

Also do you think that this overhearting could be the cause of my GPU not leting the setup to boot?

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Heat can cause all kinds of malfunctions, failures so its a possibility, but it could also be faulty graphics card. its hard to say but theres always the possibility of it being that.

7. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Yeah true, they need to make things easyer to figure out.

So i guess the best thing to do is wait for the mobo, benchtest it with what i have, no gpu startup and then go from there

8. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

yea, test it with & without graphics card, keep and eye on ur temps and go from there.

9. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Roger that, will deff do that. Thanks for all your help ive learned alot about the new computers coming out things sure do change fast for just 4 or 5 years

10. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

no problem. yea technology advaces fast, good luck on ur pc let us know how it goes :)

11. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Yeah it sure does, i will deff do that. Thanks again

12. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Well i just got my new board today, the lan problem has gone away, but the NB is still getting burning hot to the touch. Also with the GPU installed the computer will not boot the PSU just makes a noise

13. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hi, I think you should put a chipset fan on the northbridge to begin with, if temps are still to high replace the northbridge heatsink. And for your computer not booting with the GPU its hard to say if its PSU or GPU. Have you got a spare graphics card you could try? and if it boots with a spare card in it, you can rule power supply out and know for sure its graphics card.

BTW: whats your southbridge temps at are they high? if so you wanna replace it will the Zalman NB heatsink. I would get it all sorted ASAP otherwise you could face motherboard problems again.

14. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Yeah i have a case fan on the northbridge right now, i haft to wait till i get the money to get a good chipset fan. Sadly i dont have anything else to test the card on so idk what im going to do what that.

Well the thing is speedfan only displays them at 127C, so what im guessing is the board doest work with speedfan because i should be getting a failure at that temp, because its around 270F, but i test the temps with my fingers to see if it burns as soon as i touch it or i count down how long it takes

I think once i get the money ill just buy a new PSU, and have the GPU tested

15. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

yea dude, go for that option start with psu and get the card tested.will be a false reading in speed fan cuz that temp is madness I would defo get that chipset fan ASAP.

16. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Yeah i think thats about my only option at this point. I have my cousin bringing her old computer parts here so maybe i can salvage something off that. Ill haft to wait for a real chipsetfan, but i dont use the computer or i have a big 80mm blowing on it

17. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

when you get your chipset fan and you notice its still running hot, I would say you will have to upgrade to water cooling, getting a waterblock for both northbridge & southbridge lets hope it dont come to that though.

18. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Yeah if it comes to that i think ill just buy a C2D mobo and cpu and use my ram and other stuff for that setup lol. Idk if its just this mobo is a crapy make or something its a BIOSTAR and i thought they where good

19. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

never really heard of bio star I always stick to the big brands e.g. Evga, XFX, Gigabyte etc.
    I'm not really keen on VIA chipsets either. But lets see how it all goes first, hopefully will be all sorted, when you cousin comes around if his/her graphics card is compatible give it a try, then work from there.

20. NateB

NateB Geek Trainee

Yeah i heard there where Bio star fanboys and such, ive heard of them before but never really heard if they where popular, but the board was my only option, if i had more i would have went with asus or something.

Yeah i think her comp in is the P4 range but im not sure if its PCI-E or not, hopefuly it is and i can test that card