Newbie CPU Heat Sink/Fan Question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by urb1972, Sep 8, 2005.

1. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

Right,

I have an INTEL PERLD865 mobo, with specs that can be found here...

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/index.htm

Stupid question, maybe, but you see the plastic 'things' around the whole CPU socket that accomodate a standard heat sink/fan (which I have).

How do these funky coolers work that seem to have legs leading to a copper plate work with this. Do they still fit? Or does the plastic surround have to come off. Only ask cos I had a quick look at the surround and it seems like you can't push it out. I'm guessing you can.

?

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Im not quite sure what you mean by the funky cooler but removing the plastic surround wont work beacuse there woudl be nothing for the heatsink to clip onto.

I think your going to have to get a new heatsink!

(could you put up a picture of your heatsink? if you dont allrwady know you can hoast it on www.photobucket.com for free)

3. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

I will join photobucket shortly,

in the meantime, here is what I mean:

You know the plastic supports I mean? (http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/index.htm)
    You can see them around the CPU socket...

Well my heat sink clips onto that, it is the same shape, square, and fits the locking mechanism of the plastic frame. It's most similar to the FIFTH one down on this page:
    (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Akasa_119.html)

So how does something like this fit?
    (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Zalman_121.html)

Or does it just not go there? :eek:hah:

4. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

-bump-

sorry but I really need to avoid buying something that won't fit.

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

you have a socket 478 board and i know what you mean, buy something like a freezer 4 from arctic cooling, they're amazing and me and willhub have them, plux Exfoliate is a fan of arctic cooling, my Overclocked Celeron is at 24*C idle (overclockeed from 2.6GHz to 3.14GHz)

urb1972 likes this.
  6. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi

two parts answer:

1. If the manufacturer/seller indicates that the h/s is for your socket (in your case the 478), then the h/s will come with a retaining mechanism for that socket's set-up (the plastic thingy around your CPU). You might have to assemble the locking mechanism to fit the mobo but I am sure that it will be covered in the instructions.
    2. However! to avoid buying a h/s which will not fit, you must check with the manufacturer regarding compatability. Zalman have a vast list of mobos which will have issues with any of their coolers. For example, have a look here - http://www.zalmanusa.com/product/cooler/7700-478MBlist_eng.htm
    As you can see the site offers quite a bit of info. Any decent manufacturer will have a list of known issues.

I have just bought and installed the Freezer 4. An awsom cooler but I had a very close shave as I did not check properly and nearly could not fit the cooler in the sace provided. If you find a cooler which you like in particular, search the home site and if you are none the wiser check the forum. Someone will have the answer.

Hope this helps.... Keep it mega cool! Keep it Arctic Cooling cool ;)

urb1972 likes this.
  7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

hell yea, also the Freezer 4 is very tall, but a lot of zalman HSF's are very wide and require a lot of space....outlined above...in sabashuali's post...the freezer 4 is an amazing cooler but make sure it fits! there are others but your board is a socket 478 so no worries, just make sure the heatsink you buy is able to fit that type of socket...

urb1972 likes this.
  8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

urb1972 likes this.
  9. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

what i did was turned the clipping mechanism on the AC FREEZER 4 from the right side of the fan to the left, as then i found it alot more easy to fit as when the actualy clips was on the right side, there is barely enough space to fit your hand down.

but when i changed the clipping mechanism around, it took me about 5 mins to fit, depending on your motherboard, the AC FREEZER 4 fan can only be facing either down, right (facing back of case) left (facing front of case), it cant be facing up becouse obviously the power supply is in the way.

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i was thinking of adjusting the plastic mounting on the motherboard so it faces the back but i thought the plastic mounting is rectangular so it wont change properly

11. Willz

i was thinking the exact same thing at first, then my plans were blown with the rectangular shape :p

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah well atm it just blows the air against the PSU as there are no holes on the bottom of my PSU...oh well the cooling is all good, apart from the NB, i may try and get a 40-50mm converter...and try and make my own HDD cooler with 80mm 3 pin fan so i can control it as the 2x50mm fan one i have is noisy

13. Willz

do you think making air ducs to guide the air using (PLANE PAPER) would be ok?

14. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

immediate thoughts - might be due to primal fears.... :D

1. Paper-electric-fire-not happy....
    2. Paper deteriorates (excuse the English) and might produce dust and s**t.

Could be talking out of my behind but as I said, immediate thoughts.....

I did not realise you could change the clips on the freezer. I wish I knew.
    I just cannot be asked to re-install. so for the moment it will stay facing down.
    I am definitly going for introducing a side fan. Better charge the batteries as there will be a fair bit of drilling.... he he he

15. Willz

even when you change the clips it will still be facing down (THE METAL cliping mechanism on the actualy cooler)

16. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Well actualy, if I new that it was possible, I would have had it facing the PSU.
    There is more than enough space and that way the air will be going up and towards the PSU intake. Not brilliant for my PSU but a decent psu with two good fans would have chewd that hot air and spit it out with no problems. The only reason my Freezer is not facing the PSU is, as I said, the fact that some sockets were getting in the way of the clips.

One of the 'problems' I am having at the moment is that due to the back fan being so close to the heatsink, the hot air, going passed the heatsink, is getting sucked out of the back fan straight away. As it is a thermo controled fan, it thinks the air is too hot and as a result, it is working on high revs all the time.

What I am planning to do, which is an item for a nother post, is to introduce a quiet 450-500W dual fan PSU. Then turn the Freezer to face the PSU and Robert is your father's brother...
    Then I will have the exhaust fan blowing in, adding air flow through my Freezer (they are that close....) and the G card area and blow air out via the psu and a side fan.

When the job is done, I will post pictures...

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

cool, sounds good,

18. Willz

i have an case fan on the back of my case sucking air and blowing through the AC FREEZER 4, then i have a fan on the front sucking air out, now these fans are both temperature controled, but i have them turned off all the time or on 50% speed, i have 2 fans on the back side of my case sucking air in, these 2 fans cool the gpu and allow the AC FREEZER 4 to suck cool air in, the side fans also are effective enough to cool the northbridge, i find my cooling very effective, the only fan sucking out is the front one, so this is how it goes.

back case fan is for: blowing cool air onto and through the AC FREEZER 4.
    2 side fans: Botton side fan is for cooling tv tuner card and botton of graphics card (allows graphics card fan to suck in cool air), the top side fan cools the top of the graphics card, the northbridge, and allows the cpu AC FREEZER 4 to suck in cool air.
    front fan: for hot air out of case.

the AC FREEZER 4 fan us facing down in my case, the psu sucks the air in through the 120mm built in fan and then sucks the air straight out through the 80mm fan at the back, when power is turned off, the 80mm fan stays on for 10 minutes cooling the psu.

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i have to say thats some strange cooling there, going from back to front is different, but if it works then keep it the way it is!

20. Willz

its logical, cool air coming in from the back cools the most important parts, like ram, heatsink, if your sucking air in from front, then its only cooling bottom, and its going to heat up, and heat rises.

my dad had some wierd idea that we could tottaly scramble the case up, and have the motherboar don the left side of the case, and windows on right side, and then have the motherboard upside down, lol i thought thats a seriously mental idea lol, and when i said its stupid, he said i wasent right in the head lol :s