nvidia 8600GT and PCLinux 2007

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by athomas, Sep 15, 2008.

1. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

I have PClinux 2007 and an 8600gt. I got the right drivers, but it won't go to widescreen. my monitor supports up to 1680x1050, and the highest i see is 1280x1024, which isn't even widescreen. How do I fix this?

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Looks like the resolution isn't recognized, last time I tried Linux, I had to manually change some config file to get the desired resolution, have you had look for that?

I hope someone else can help, since I have very limited Linux desktop experience.

3. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

Thats just the thing though.. there's no widescreen resolutions listed at all. Pclinux 07 obviously supports widescreen... i have it on my laptop

4. Sniper

do you mean there's no resolution listed in the config file? if not then make one, using the same format as the other resolutions listed but changing the obvious settings.

5. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

Which config file?

6. Sniper

You will have to do a bit of searching on google as I don't know the location. I thought you had already looked at the config file but seems you were talking about the resolutions listed under graphic settings.

What I had to do was edit the actual file which contains the settings for all the resolutions, after which it appeared under the graphic settings. (think it was ubuntu a year or so ago)

7. Fred

Fred Moderator

Code:
    su

vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf 
    Your resolutions should be in there. On the other hand, I wonder if it would help to install the drivers from nvidia's website... That's assuming you used whatever PCLinuxOS came with.