Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT problem, blank screen

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by md19, Apr 3, 2009.

1. md19

md19 Geek Trainee

Hi all, I just finished building the following PC:

CPU: Core 2 duo E7400 (2.8Ghz)
    MoBo: Biostar TP45 HP
    RAM: Corsair PC2-6400 2x1GB
    PSU:Coolermaster iGreen 600W
    Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT

When I turned it on everything worked (all fans spinning, lights working, hard drive spinning) except the 2 LED's on the motherboard indicate that there is a VGA error. So I removed the gfx card and reseated it, same problem.

At first the gfx card was powered by the molex to 6-pin PCI-e adaptor that came with the card. When I removed it and powered it directly from the PSU both LED's came on (alls well) but still no image reaching the screen. I checked the cables and restarted the PC and the mobo LED's were back to VGA error.

Each time there has been an error the POST BIOS beeps have indicated a VGA error.

Im not sure whether its a faulty card, incompatibility or a power issue. Any help will be appreciated.

md19

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

It's not incompatibility, its a Pci Express x16 2.0 card which your motherboard supports, So it's gotta be a faulty graphics card. Your psu is efficent enough to power your system. The beep basically means no graphics card installed.

3. md19

md19 Geek Trainee

I've set it up out of the case on cardboard to see if something was shorting but i still had the same beeps from POST.
    I also tried clearing the CMOS, but still no better.
    I also tried with 1 stick of RAM and then with the other but that didn't help solve the problem either.
    While it was out of the case, I checked the gfx card seating and its more than perfect.

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

I see you have two pci express x16 slots available on your motherboard. try the graphics card in the second pci express x16 slot if it still beeps gotta be card, if it doesnt beep and tells you to switch your card to the first pci express x16 slot its a motherboard fault (faulty pci express x16 slot)

5. md19

md19 Geek Trainee

Would that work as the m/b has jumper settings to assign one PCIe or 2. And as default the slave slot wouldn't be working at all, if i change the jumper settings, isn't the m/b going to assume I have 2 cards to put in? and if i only put mine in the slave slot it' ask for the master one anyway?
    I admittedly dont know much about SLI and Crossfire though.

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

I see, I would of though it would of just enabled both slots. If you did put it in the slave slot and it asks you to switch to master slot you then know your card isn't the problem because it's picked up your card in the slave slot and it won't in the master.

7. md19

md19 Geek Trainee

Well I just gave it a go and still got the same beeps. So now I'm pretty certain its the card. Ill return it tomorrow, should get a replacement soon. Thank you for all your help, I appreciate it.