Nvidia: Newer drivers run slower than older? Help!

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by audio84, Oct 29, 2010.

1. audio84

audio84 Geek Trainee

Hi guys,

Right, bit of a problem. I've got an EVGA 9800GTX+ that I've had for quite some time, and for the time being I'm quite happy with it, but I've recently noticed a bit of an issue regarding different drivers effecting performance and heat.

I haven't updated my drivers for a while, so I've just tested out the latest Nvidia drivers (260.99), and have instantly noticed a drop in performance. The card runs cool but games start to gain mouse lag and low frame rates. I've reverted back to some older drivers that are 190.xx, and now games run fantastic... but for some reason the card runs a hell of a lot hotter than the newer drivers, to the point of the fan whirring up to 80% and seeing glitches on screen.

So in a nutshell, the 260.xx runs slow but cool, and the 190.xx runs great but hot. No overclocking is present either. I don't want to purchase any aftermarket cooling for the GPU, as cooling isn't a problem with my case and the fact that I shouldn't have to just because of a driver issue. What the hell is going on?! :dry:

Cheers! :)

2. jaredc

jaredc Geek Trainee

You may want to check out and download EVGA precision, where you can manually set your fan speed. I know i have a 275 gtx and it won't even increase the fan rate until the gfx card if super super hot. So before I play a game I load EVGA precision and manually set the fan speed to around 70%.

Also check and make sure there isn't too much dust in your computer. This causes most heat problems since dust is an insullator.