O/S Reboots after new hard drive installation

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by FerdievdBerg, Jan 27, 2004.

1. FerdievdBerg

FerdievdBerg Geek Trainee

Hope anyone can help! Here is my system:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA 7ZXE
    New Hard Drive: Western Digital 7200 RPM 120GB
    Old hard Drive: Seagate 5400 RPM 20.4GB
    Memory: SDRAM PC133 1 X 256MB, 1 X 128MB

Installed new hard drive as Master and loaded Windows 2000 Server from CD. Created partition of 20GB, formatted. Setup will copy all files, and once it restarts to continue with installation, reboots continuously!! I managed once or twice to let it go past this point, and even completed the install, just to find that after a reboot the systems keeps on rebooting again. I unplugged all extra devices and tried to boot with just one CD ROM and the NEW drive, still nothing.

When I plug the old drive back, the system works fine. I can even install the new drive as slave, and all is ok, but yet when it is the primary it does not want to work.

I even updated the BIOS thinking that the BIOS might not allow for such a big drive, but that did not fix the problem either.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I was told that it could be the motherboard, but why then does it work ok as slave? I was also told that it could be PSU?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

To me it sounds exactly like a incorrect jumper setting on your Western Digital. On that drive, I believe that in order to be a single, master drive with no slave, you must remove the jumper alltogether. Make sure the jumper has been removed from the back of the HDD and try your install one last time. :)

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Removing the jumper altogether works but there is also a setting that says "master". As opposed to master w/ slave.

You may have mistaken one for the other.