Of Games and Bugs

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by ryannP, Nov 6, 2012.

1. ryannP

ryannP Geek

Why do new games tend to have more bugs and other ways of malfunctioning? I mean, in the past ~2 years, after a game is released there seems to be more of a tradition that a rather shameful number of updates/patches/fixes come out. I wonder...

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't have any actual info in front of me, but I do think it's because of various factors. Some game studios are pushing for set release dates for one, and that probably cuts down on bug checks. Another factor is the increase in gaming in general where something might affect a greater number of people where it's a repeatable problem. More and newer hardware comes out, making certain troubles appear. It's a little easier with game consoles, but even if you bug check it to perfection in house, external factors might throw in some issues the developer couldn't account for in the game design. Plus, having a Duke Nukem Forever scenario is also undesirable, as is having the product likewise stuck in a developers hell. Also, no product=no revenue=closed studio/unemployed programmers.

In my mind, it's more shameful for a developer to ignore a problem and give little support once the game is out. Bugs suck, but lack of support in the long term is worse.