OMG a Coolmax psu FREE after mail-in rebates rofl !!

Discussion in 'Bargain Zone' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, Nov 24, 2006.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

holy shit this is crazy rofl:

COOLMAX V-500 500W Power Supply - Retail at Newegg.com

A PSU costing $28 = free after mail-in rebate for $28!! Only shipping costs to be paid! (oh yeah, US residents only since these guys dont ship elsewhere)

Okay so I am planning on building a new computer this winter break, should I get this?? I want to build a comp with some decent specs, not totally hardcore but something in the upper range. Would this provide enough juice? Cuz some of those other psu's that are like $100+ are much more powerful... I really haven't been keeping up with computer tech so I have no idea what I need anymore.

I need to decide quick, this deal is only for today cuz it says Black Friday special. I will need a PSU for my new comp, of course... I'm thinking I should grab this for now even though I'm not gonna build it yet since this seems like a great deal lol. I mean I'll only pay like $6 for shipping. What do u guys think??

EDIT: okay I just looked at the entire category of PSU's and they have some other deals like that too lol, like this CoolerMaster, that looks good too. Although slightly less amps on the 12V than the Coolmax I linked above.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Coolmax isn't a recommended brand. There's a few units that JohnnyGuru reviewed that seemed okay, but unless it's one of those particular units, I'd just as soon avoid them. I have a real hard time believing a $28 500W PSU is going to be any sort of decent unit. If it's one of the Green Power units, the little that I've seen out of CoolerMaster indicates that it should be good. If you're looking for a budget PSU, check out FSP/Fortron AX400-PN or AX450-PN units.
    Coolmax isn't as bad as Q-tec or Powmax, but it's definitely a low-tier brand, IMO. I'd put them in the same class as Ultra: not entirely worthless, but unless you know exactly what you're getting, I'd avoid 'em.

3. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Dang, well too late lol. I ordered it b4 your reply. It's going to cost me all of $7 after the rebate so it can't be too bad of a loss even if it sucks and can't do the job. (unless they rip me off on the rebate...) And hey I could make a review of it!