One for the geniuses

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Waffle, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

How come Mac OS X doesn't work on a PC?

What's stopping it from working? The hardware is practically the same, aside from the CPU, but then the cpu is built to work with the OS, not the other way around. (Otherwise they'd need a new OS everytime a new chip was brought out)

Any ideas?

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

my brother's friend runs it on his PC.

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

so how come more people don't use OS X?

guess its like Linux

5. ninja fetus

Dunno, his runs very unstable though. Crashes and screen is shaky

6. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

becoz its :swear:

7. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

no not really.

If you break it down in to performance, sercurity and stability, Windows comes in right at the bottom.

Windows, in my opinion got to where it is today, is because its very bright and colourful and "family" friendly. All the helpful "What do you want to do, and how do you want to do it."

Mac, Linux and its derrivatives, basically just do it, no questions asked.

8. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Yeh but i hate apple and mac! I dnt reeli like windows but i hate mac more.

9. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

What is the best os does everybody think is availible, i don't like macs i lik windows better, i have'nt had much to do with linux but im gna intall it on a partition soon.

10. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I thought Mac OS really sucked right up until OSX. The big change in thinking for me was when Apple decided to build their OS on a BSD foundation (except for the kernel), basically making it a Unix-like system. I still find Macs to be overpriced and proprietary for my taste, and OSX is still very limiting on what you can and can't do. But since it's Unix-based, the security and stability are worlds ahead of Windows. The reason Fetus' brother has stability problems with OSX on an x86 architecture is because it really is built and intended for a PowerPC architecture, not an Intel-compatible PC.

Personally, I'd run Linux on my system whether it was PPC-based or x86 based. Incidentally it's an inexpensive PC architecture system, but I still have all all the perks of a Unix plaform -- stability, longevity, security, ease of maintenance, abundance of administrative tools (both local and remote), is truly intended for multiple users and networking, and has great resource management. Also, It doesn't need an antivirus, spyware removal tools, never needs a reboot, runs quickly, plays 3D games well, and I didn't pay a penny for it ...yet it's all legal. Finally, I can truly customise it any way I want, with nobody telling me I'm too dumb to do so. Should we just use our corperately-dictated preset defaults, since it's for our own good? I don't think so :)

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well that's either through emulation or he's using Darwin...which I understand is very limited on what x86 stuff can be used, and doesn't have the pretty interface of OS X. I'm seriously thinking about getting one of those Mini Macs now that they don't cost a kidney or two to get.

12. ninja fetus

emulation, interface looks the same. But it shakes a lot of the time, like the screen will literally shake

13. Addis

Addis The King

I've never really used OSX apart from one time when messing around with a CLC one when no-one was looking. I don't really like Mac because the name is a type of coat. I don't like coats...

14. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Wow, sounds like he has his refresh rate's set wrong!

15. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Personally i think Apple have made some substantially wise changes over OSX compared to previous Mac versions, it's not perfect - like all OS's, however it is a very good OS on mac hardware, we have 4 Dual 2Ghz Macs with OSX, in marketing and they are incredibly powerful machines and very good for media / graphical work.

However, even though the OSX system is built on FreeBSD architecture i don't think they've made the most of it, the Mac OSX OS is still very prohibiting in what you can do with it, none the less, still a very good operating system for those that are going to use the typical features of OSX and the power of it.

But for me, it's rather limiting, I personally think that one of the best operating systems there is is Gentoo Linux, it's a very steep learning curve but you learn alot from it - and you end up with an OS specifically tailored to your needs and requirements.

Just my $0.2

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I use both Macs and PC's. Basically the way I look at it is if your all about swag/sleek looks and ease of operation, have plenty of money to spend (if performance is your thing as well), enjoy video editing, hate viruses and drivers, and wouldn't dream of building your own computer than there's little reason why you shouldn't buy a Mac. People on tight budgets, gamers, builders, and people who want a ton of options probably need a PC. I wanted to build my own computer and play a few rounds of Doom3 for more like $1400, not buy for about $4000 (for a souped up G5). I guess if I could only use one OS I'd opt for XP not OSX. I don't use linux so I can't vouch for it.