online gaming

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by netnerdnerd9, Mar 15, 2010.

1. netnerdnerd9

netnerdnerd9 Geek Trainee

why does online gaming always lag ? What is going on here is it my computer or is it the sites I am playing on? It is sooooooooooo freaking irritating, any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

If your computer fits within the recommended settings of the game, then the only thing that's left is the bandwidth available on your side and on the server side. when choosing a server, choose the one with the lowest Ping. On your, computer, kill all browsers, BitTorrents and P2P programs, that suck on the internet connection. That's it as much as I know.

Of course, there can be one more reason - a badly implemented and broken multiplayer engine and you can't really do anything about it yourself, except regularly checking for patches and/or hotfixes.

hope I mentioned something new.

3. netnerdnerd9

thanks yes it is starting to make more sense to me.

Should I upgrade my hardware as I feel that maybe my stuff is not as compatiable and is creating additional problems as in buying a new gaming graphics card ect?

4. edijs

edijs Programmer

Maybe you can post your current hardware configuration and what games you want to run - so that we get the whole picture.

5. netnerdnerd9

Hey :)

thanks I want to play second life game and also maybe get into wow I think it is :)

:D thanks :(

6. Lian

Lian Gaming Legend

Several things you can do - I'm just listing the options you have available to you. You don't necessarily need to do all of them.

1> As mentioned before you may want to review your system config and see if it matches that of the game requirements.
    2> Get a better ISP - or if you have a decent 4Meg+ line then i'd consider getting a new router. Routers degrade in terms of performance as they get older, specially the cheap routers that come free when you join your ISP.
    3>Make sure your PC is setup close to your router.