Open up the News Articles and Comments Forum to All users

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Impotence, Dec 29, 2006.

?

Should the News Forum be Opened?

1. Yes, I Think the news forum to should be opened.

40.0%
  2. No, I don't Think the news forum to should be opened.

30.0%
  3. Yes, I think the news forum to should be opened, but only to subscribing members

30.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I am suggesting that the "News Articles and Comments" forum is opened up to all members (but perhaps will the same 50 post rule as the B/S/T forum) in the hopes it will be put to better use.

I Think the forum would be better served as a place where users can post articles that they want to discuss, instead of the current situation where a limited number of members control what articles are commented on in this forum. Members without posting privileges for the News forum wanting to discuss other articles have to ask a member with posting privileges in News or post it somewhere else (I have seen quite a few posts in the General Chat forum that would be more at home in News).

If the News forum was open to members it would obviously need to be Moderated, The current news crew would be able to handle this between us (Myself, Addis and Pelvis) but obviously it should be voted on separately.

Privileges to Post in News could be a Premium / Platinum subscription feature, but i would prefer if it wasn't. the more members who can post in this forum the more news articles we will see, and the more varied there subjects will be.

Rules / Guidelines would have to written to say what can be posted in News, as its not the place to be announcing personal news etc. (that's what General Chat is for!).

Comments?

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

I selected the wrong poll option. My vote should have been for "Yes, I Think the news forum to should be opened." I also agree that it will need to be moderated, however. If the Admins and Mods feel the extra work is not necessitated, I'm sure the News Crew, including myself will help out.

3. Impotence

Just so everyone knows, I'm not going to be around for at least a week.

I have some partying to do :p (i spent xmas with my family) and i've also got more hours than normal at work.

I think ive said everything i want to say about this, but i will check up if i get a chance.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The problem I have is that it could end up being another forum where people just dump a "I need help" post. Right now, this is the news only section and given the location near the top of the forum. Since we are making moves to do away with Zone365 entirely, this takes the place of the front page at present. Plus, spammers would have a prime opportunity to post what they think is news. Limited access keeps this area under control.

5. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I agree with Big B entirely on this. The News Forum should remain closed to regular users.

6. Impotence

Well impose the normal 50 post rule, or even a 100 post rule.

Any spammer who is that motivated to post a news will have had to go to a fair length... and besides, why should there be a blanket ban as such beacuse of the actions of individuals?

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's not a ban. It simply makes it easier for staff, and because we really don't see a benefit in doing so. It's not like you can't get ahold of a News Crew member, mod or admin. I don't know of any site that lets all their users post news. Think about it: every time a new video card gets launched, we'd have several news posts on the same thing. As the forum grows, you'd have even more people that could do that. Now, how many threads would we have to delete?

8. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

i didnt even know that the news section was limited. But anywayz i agree with b that it would jsut take up too much space and people would just post multiple articles of the same news. So i guess its only mods and admins that are allowed to post there?

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's limited to where only admins, mods and news crew can create posts. All registered members can reply, but only the selected groups can create them.

10. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

pretty much though so. so its ok that users arent allowed to create posts then. coz the mods admins will post news when they become news becoz they are obviously aware of whats happening and users can reply so its fine the way it is now aswell

11. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

I am a normal meber, yet i am able to create new threads in the News, article & comments section, is this because i am an active and regular member who has submited a review once before?

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Probably.

13. Fred

Fred Moderator

While I am actually really torn on the subject matter,but I think I fall on the not opening up the section to everyone. I totally see the logic in opening it up, and can see where the obvious benefit would be to that, but at the same time B is right. Even with the needed posts before starting a thread, people would be posting the same articles several times and/or posting completely worthless articles.

14. Impotence

Quite a few valid points have been made, I would like to change my suggestions.

how about Long running (post count, possibly with a subscription) active members should be able to post news.

Personally, i favour long running members with a subscription being able to post news as it lowers the probability that we will see spam/junk in the news thread and yet still highers the probability of seeing more varied news.

15. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I agree with all your points B but there is a limitation of this as well...which is
    Limited Member = Limited News Reading = Limited News grabbing = Limited Threads = Limited Topics/Threads....
    As you have said that many members will post the sames news post again n again...n that will increase the work for staff members but look in this way..U have staff assigned for news section only - addis, pelvis nd Impotence. So i dnt think that it will b much difficult for them to clean up some double posts..:eek:hah:. but still decision is between u nd ur staff members only if they agree or not with this...
    The suggestion which Impotence have given that a member should have a rule like b/s/t for 50 or more posts before makin a thread in the news section. This way member get more familiar with whole website before posting in that section...

Its not opened for the regular users... Its jst for the couple of staff members.

I dnt know how is it possible but me still cant create any thread in News section.:confused:

16. Willz

i suppose its based on posts counts, higher the post count, the more active so maybe thats why.

17. Impotence

with over 3 and a half thousand posts, you should definitely be able to posts in news Willz!!!

Why not set the limit to 500 posts before you can create threads in news? by the time you have reached that count you will have been around the forum for awhile (unless your willz of course :p), its almost like a thank you for sticking around!

18. Willz

:p lol, I have found a couple of usefull articles I could of posted in there, but someone got them first :p

I dont really think there should be a limit really, I think it should be based on there attitude, and there quality of posts really, and no pure post count, but i guess its so mods dont have to track people, there are plenty of people on this forum who have well under 500 posts who deserve to be able to post in the news forum :D

19. Impotence

Whats happening over this?

20. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The current system is staying put unless Sniper would change that. I know of no plan to change this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.