Opening an NEC PowerMate Case

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by trentham, Feb 3, 2003.

1. trentham

trentham Geek Trainee

A friend of mine has asked me to help him add a graphics card to his computer; an NEC PowerMate with a 900MHz Celeron processor. The problem I am having is that I can't see how to open the case! Can you help? Is there any relevant documentation?

I'm afraid I can offer no further details of exactly what model the computer is. It looks like a desktop bok except that it is designed to stand on its edge with feet underneat and it is smaller than the typical desktop box.

It looks as though a plastic side would slide off iff the front plastic panel was not blocking it. there is also a slot on the back of the box which could just possibly have some sort of clip inside it?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Without seeing it, I can't rightly say. I've seen some Dells that have a button on 2 sides that must be pushed in before you can open the case.

This is a dumb question, but you have checked for screws.

3. trentham

trentham Geek Trainee

No question is ever too dumb to ask but I have checked for screws. There's only one (apart from power supply screws) but it doesn't seem to release anything :-(

4. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

cant u call NEC suport or the shop where u bought it ?
    without a pic is kinda hard to c ;)

5. trentham

trentham Geek Trainee

When it comes to working out how to open unknown cases, I'm usually quite good but this one has me stumped.

I was hoping that someone here jmight have one of these things and know the answer. this route is normally faster than trying to contact the supplier!

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Some stuff is more difficult to help on if you don't know what you're working on and can't see it.

7. paulza6

paulza6 Geek Trainee

Have you managed to open the case as i am having the same problem. I am sure the slot at the back has something to do with it as it has a padlock symbol next to it.
    Thank you

8. trentham

trentham Geek Trainee

By the time I got back to the machine the owner had actually pulled all sort of bits off (i.e. broke them off!) in an attempt to get in.

In fact there was no need to be so drastic as I found out that having removed the odd screw from the back the whole thing just slid out as I would have expected, it was just that the thing was very tight.

I think the thing is, undo the screw(s) as you'd expect and be fairly violent with the bits that look like they can take it!

Best of luck!

Ken.

9. paulza6

paulza6 Geek Trainee

Thank you,

I had managed to get the cover off and was going to let you know. I looked through the user guide on NEC websit. the slot was the confusing part but it is for adding a Kensington lock.

10. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

its good you got it worked out
    but you do realise that this thread is more than 2 years old?
    prob shouldnt bring back threads this old!