Opinions on Vista

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by herbjr, Oct 27, 2007.

1. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

O k, here is the thing. I REALLY want Vista OS instead the lame old XP. However, I have been hearing some not so good things about it. Especially gaming wise.

I wanted to know if these things are true. Should I really not go with Vista if I plan on doing a lot of computer gaming? Or should I if i build a good enough computer to completely handle it?

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

There are some compatibility issues with old games. You could search on Google for any issues on vista with a specific game. But most games are working correctly (games of the last 3 years). And there might be patches available for non-working games.

3. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I have vista ult x64 and Winxp pro both on my comp - after a week of vista the new look got boring and now I only use it to play the ace Holdem game!

Personally I had problems with: Bioshock, MOH Airborne and a few others - probably fixable but why should I have to bother? Back to XP it was for me :D

I'll keep my vista install though and update it every now and again, as it really is inevitable that we'll all be using it one day... just not yet for me, Got a feeling this sp1 for it is really over-hyped and we'll all be waiting for sp2 :S

EDIT: Reason no 2. 3dMark'06 scores (for me anyway) XP Pro SP2: 9463 Vista Ult x64: 9075 !

4. RHochstenbach

The most important things to keep in mind: x64 version has more compatibility issues than the x86, because some apps aren't compatible with 64-bit operating systems. And performance in vista is lower, because the OS requires more resources than XP.

I don't think that games issues with Vista are ever going to be fixed (Microsoft doesn't care about that). So if the developer of a game doesn't have a patch to fix any problems, then you'll have to run it on XP, just like Ferg said.

[ot]I was disappointed that 18 Wheels of Steel: Haulin' didn't work, and GTA: San Andreas had very poor performance[/ot]

5. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

How is it possible to have XP and Vista on the same computer?

6. RHochstenbach

If you got XP installed, then install Vista (custom install). If you got Vista installed, and want to add XP, then look at this thread.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I have win 98se / XP / Vista On the same hard drive. But mainly using XP.
    Vista is nice, but you will need at least 1 gig or ram to use it,plus at least
    3 gigs of hard disks. There are allot of software problems as well.

8. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

dammit...

Like, i want vista because it looks good, and has nice features. But it has problems.... I like XP, its ok, but im tired of the old style and most of the styles available for XP has some downfall... (etc. something still donest get changed and looks way weird..)

However, im not paying for two freaking operating systems lol.

9. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

10. Tech

Tech Padawan

Look into Linux!!! Its far more configurable in terms of GUI and despite the general myth you can play games on it, you just need some emulator style software. As for "nice features" most of Vista's Desktop enhancements have been robbed from the Open Source community who've been using them for literally years!! Best of all Linux its free so you'll loose nothing by trying it and if you dual boot with XP you'll still be able to paly any games that dont work.