Optical drive no longer detected by WinXP

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by blorenz1974, Jun 23, 2003.

1. blorenz1974

blorenz1974 Geek Trainee

I have an HP ze5000 laptop with a combo drive. It came with HPs burning software (which sucks), so I installed Nero 5. After the installation, the drive doesn't show up in Windows any more...obviously the install changed something, but I don't know where to look.

Thanks, in advance, to anyone that can provide assistance.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Try uninstalling Nero first.

3. blorenz1974

blorenz1974 Geek Trainee

I tried that...no change. I should've mentioned that in the initial post, sorry.

4. zeus

zeus out of date

What OS is it?
    If its Windows 95,98 or Me (Win9x) try using a bootup to start the comp, start with cd rom support. When its done just restart the comp. It resolved missing rom drives for me in the past, I think cdrw drives too.

If its Windows XP or 2000 do the same though I think its a repair option on the cd rom itself, you will need the bootup disks to start the comp if the rom drive is dead.
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downright_pages/downrights_bootdisks.htm
    You'll have to choose the right set for your comp.

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

ok, uninstall all burning software, then install Nero, let us know how it goes!

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'd do what sniper suggested.
    But one more thing you could do is verify if your drive shows up in the Device Manager. If it does, uninstall it, but I suggest you do these things one by one, not all at the same time.
    Also, try disabling to built-in burning feature of Win XP, it's made by Roxio and it doesn't like anything but Roxio products. You can do that by going in the properties of your drive...obviously you can't since you can't acces it but once you're able to, you should do it.