OS wont boot after install

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by strsstripesnomor, Aug 1, 2003.

1. strsstripesnomor

strsstripesnomor Geek Trainee

I installed xp pro on my computer and now it wont boot. It just stops at the verifying dmi pool thing. I dont know what to do. I've tried many other OS's and still the same thing. Windows 98 went to boot then gave me blue screen of death( FATAL EXPECTION). PLease help me. Thanks!
    Specs:
    700Mhz Pentium Celeron
    Asus Mobo
    10.2gb Fireball AT HD
    CdRom
    XP Pro

2. strsstripesnomor

strsstripesnomor Geek Trainee

ive also tried windows 98 and 95 and everything, i dont get it!!!!

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Did you change anything in BIOS? If so, change it back, or just reset the BIOS.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

1st thing I'd do is load the default BIOS settings, as previously suggested.

2nd thing: Are you doing a clean install or an upgrade ?
    Are you using another OS besides Windows ? (Linux ?)
    What procedure do you follow to install Windows ?
    If doing a clean install, do you delete partitions and format before the install ?
    What directory are you installing the OS to ?
    Can you swap the hdd with another one to see if it makes any difference ?
    Also, could you give us more info on your system specs ? Like the brand and specs of your Power supply, the mobo model, etc.

The fact that your system freezes at the DMI pool verification means windows is never accessed by the boot sequence. IF installed on the Primary master hdd, make sure that in the boot sequence in the bios, the third boot device is hdd-0, the second CD-ROM and the first Floppy, also make sure there are no bootable cds or floppies when you boot.

One last thing: Does your system always freeze at the exact same spot, or is it random ?
    You can also try downloading Memtest86 to test your memory for errors.
    You can either download an image for a cd or files for a floppy. To use it, you just have to boot with the floppy/cd and wait for the tests to complete. I suggest you do the tests twice (which takes me 20 min, but it may be longer for you)

EDIT: I moved the thread in the "Operating Systems and Tweaks" section since I think that this is where it belongs.