Overclocking doesnt seem to help

Discussion in 'Benchmarking' started by Warmonger41, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

Hello, I just purchased a xfx 8800gs from newegg(running at 580core/700mem) and it is performing solidly in all my games except crysis. So I decided to overclock it a bit(650/780) and see how much my fps would increase. I ran the crysis built in benchmark program and got an avg of 33 fps on medium quality, and after the overclock I got the same number!

I have tried ntune, riva tuner, and ati tool. Is there a bottleneck in my system?
    thx

2. metal80772

metal80772 Geek Trainee

I would say that there is a bottle neck, I would start with your system memory...do you have a lot of things running in the background? Otherwise it seems like your computer should have the power to push that game. My next suggestion would be to check drivers....look for new drivers and 3rd party drivers. it may help. If your only getting 33fps, and you have done everything that i have mentioned already, you may just have to accept 33fps, or a lower resolution. it may just happen to be the best your computer can do...take a look at what other people are getting with similar specs. if its way off, then you know you have a problem, if not then upgrade.

3. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

Thanks for the help. I make sure that I dont run anything else when I'm gaming/benchmarking so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't have a big problem with 33 fps, im not to picky with my gaming, but I'm reading that this card is very overclockable. I figured I would oc it just a bit to see what kind of frame improvment I would get, but im not getting anything. Just thought it strange and wanna make sure that it is in fact overclocked.

As far as the drivers go I will look into that

thx again

Im looking for some 3rd party drivers and not finding any for the 8800gs, if anyone can help me out that would be sweet.

4. metal80772

metal80772 Geek Trainee

If i were an Nvidia guy, id be able to help...But Im an ATI guy, and the best driver suite for ATI is Omega...It makes a pretty noticeable difference in my FPS. If there's something out there for your card, grab it up! And to be completely honest with you, I have never seriously seen any kind of ultra significant increase in my video performance from OC'ing a video card. I have seen higher scores on like 3d Mark, but they havent ever been anything higher than a couple hundred points. OC'ing your bus tends to help too, thats usually a bottleneck.

Good Luck!